Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper Steamer Problem

Options
  • 01-07-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got a wallpaper steamer to remove wallpaper on hire from chadwicks last week. It was working fine, but then when I had it plugged into an extension lead the extension lead started to melt and it stopped working. I then replaced the fuse tried different sockets etc. but it wont work?!
    I really cant afford to replace it, please help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Had you uncoiled the extension lead when you were running the steamer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got a wallpaper steamer to remove wallpaper on hire from chadwicks last week. It was working fine, but then when I had it plugged into an extension lead the extension lead started to melt and it stopped working. I then replaced the fuse tried different sockets etc. but it wont work?!

Did you try the steamer directly plugged in, or it wont work through the extension lead?

As said, extension leads need to be fully uncoiled before continuous use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

You know that you buy a good quality earlex steamer/stripper in Argos for around 40-45 euro.

Its a great bit of kit,removes heavy duty chip paper and even stipple/artex too.:)

Takes 4 minutes to reach full operating temp,and a full tank of water does around 1 hour worth of paper stripping

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Did you try the steamer directly plugged in, or it wont work through the extension lead?

As said, extension leads need to be fully uncoiled before continuous use.
    Yea i have taken it off the extension lead and have tried different sockets , but won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Is there a reset button on it anywhere?
    I had a wallpaper steamer once that refused to start up and the problem turned out to be limescale. I descaled it with phosphoric acid and it worked fine again.
    I think a sensor has scaled up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Is there a reset button on it anywhere?
    I had a wallpaper steamer once that refused to start up and the problem turned out to be limescale. I descaled it with phosphoric acid and it worked fine again.
    I think a sensor has scaled up.

Could be that alright. Sensor doesnt have to scale up. Once the element scales up, it is insulated from the cooling effect of direct contact with the water, and so can overheat.

Advertisement