Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live for City worker?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I work on Canon Street and currently living in Clapham.

I would like to live within walking distance to work as the Northern Line and Bank station are doing my head in.

Where do people think would be the best area to live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

PH4T wrote: »

I would like to live within walking distance to work as the Northern Line and Bank station are doing my head in.

Borough? You could walk to canon street in 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tronic

How about Islington? Great for going out, it's a short walk or bus journey into the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

tronic wrote: »
    How about Islington? Great for going out, it's a short walk or bus journey into the City.

What is Islington like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Borough/ Southwark/Waterloo. Plenty of flats around those areas.
    It's also quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tronic

North of the river is typically more expensive than south of the river, for sure. Islington becomes more reasonably priced the further north you go, for instance up the Holloway Road towards Archway.

• Advertisement

North of the river is typically more expensive than south of the river, for sure. Islington becomes more reasonably priced the further north you go, for instance up the Holloway Road towards Archway.

Being able to walk to work is the key thing so I will try and set up a few viewings around there. Can't handle the sticky, humid tube!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Buy a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

+1 on the bike. how i managed for so long on public transport because i had no bike is mad

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Buy a bike?

Nah don't want a bike. Will be even more sweaty and will invariably get mangled by a few taxi's over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Nah don't want a bike. Will be even more sweaty...
    A lot of offices in the city have showers?

Although I do often see people cycling into work in suits - I've never understood that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

HAve worked and/or lived in Borough/Bermondsey for 16 years. It's generally quite handy for Cannon Street but be prepared for the inhospitable winter weather while walking!

djpbarry wrote: »
    A lot of offices in the city have showers?

Although I do often see people cycling into work in suits - I've never understood that.

Someone just told me that there are Boris Bikes in Angel. There are stands right outside my office. This could be handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Someone just told me that there are Boris Bikes in Angel. There are stands right outside my office. This could be handy...

How many of the bike spaces are free when you arrive at work? Imagine spending 20 minutes trying to get rid of the bike? I knew a few people who gave up on that option as a result.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What are you looking for? There are lots of places that are easily accessible from Bank; could do with more specifics to narrow it down.

Lots of good areas to live in North, East and South London around there.

What are you looking for? There are lots of places that are easily accessible from Bank; could do with more specifics to narrow it down.

Nice area, walking distance to work. Not so worried about cost.

What about Holborn/Farringdon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

What about Holborn/Farringdon?
    Entire area shuts down at the weekend. Not even sure if there is much residential stock there

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In that case, Shoreditch or around Borough or Waterloo. Shoreditch is the more hipstery area.

Advertisement