Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a job.

Options
  • 01-07-2012 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to find a job for a good while now. I have been looking online as well as dropping CV's into shops and bars. I have previous experience working in a bar and also a charity shop, good results in the junior cert and my CV is laid out well according to my old guidance councillor.

I'm well aware of the economic downturn and its effect on employment but I'm certain that that is not what is hampering my search. I have applied for jobs and still seen the sign which says "help wanted" in the window for months after I applied. And yes, I've tried applying multiple times. ;)

I am just wondering what the hell I have to do in order to get a job relatively close to where I live which is Dublin 15?
    Why does no one want to hire me? I've even told places that I'd work for them for less than the minimum wage and that hasn't worked either!
    Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Haven't got any good news for you I'm afraid, jobs are scarce everywhere, are you over 18? If not I'm sure a lot of places prefer to hire over 18s as they can work later hours.

Have you done any charity work? It would be a nice thing to have on a CV, makes you look like a nice person, and remember when a company is hiring you they are making you their public face. If they see you as a socially responsible young person they may be more inclined to want you representing their company. Also would look good in an interview if you were able to say that you got sick of having nothing to do and you didn't just want to lounge around the house.

I remember Declan in the Currys and PC World thread saying that a good way to get a job with them is to ask for the store manager and ask him if there are any jobs. He says they need people that aren't afraid to approach customers, and if you can approach a manager asking for a job then you probably won't have a problem approaching a customer.

Genuienly wish you luck, it's a horrible feeling looking for a job and not being able to get one, especially if it's your first job, it's easy to get down heartened but you just gotta keep plugging away. Those places that still have signs up saying help wanted, give them another CV and another if necessary, show them you really want to work for them, someone might take note of your tenacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Build a bear workshop were looking for staff last week in the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I'll give you an answer that may not sit well with you, but unfortunately it is a reality in allot of cases.

WHO YOU KNOW AND NOT WHAT YOU KNOW.

There are jobs knocking around but they are being picked up by word of mouth. Nod and a wink, favor here, favor there and my da's friends knows this fella who's wife over sees this....blah blah.

I am not trying to be smart or clever, but if i were to give you advice i would encourage you to get yourself a job by whatever means. If you must kiss ass or ask people to ask people they know, so be it.

Keep trying regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Unfortunately, with 400000+ people out of work, every job vacancy has multiple applicants. As someone else said, you just need to keep trying. It will be demoralising at times but job hunting requires perserverance.

I know most likely you need cash so a job is probably your immediate priority but is there any chance you can upskill, learn a trade/skill or try and complete you Leaving Cert. This would make you more marketable as a job candidate as having only Junior Cert in 2012 does, I'm afraid, put you at the back of the queue for jobs. Have you been in touch with FAS to see if they can offer help or provide you with an internship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Thanks everyone for the help :)
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, with 400000+ people out of work, every job vacancy has multiple applicants. As someone else said, you just need to keep trying. It will be demoralising at times but job hunting requires perserverance.

I know most likely you need cash so a job is probably your immediate priority but is there any chance you can upskill, learn a trade/skill or try and complete you Leaving Cert. This would make you more marketable as a job candidate as having only Junior Cert in 2012 does, I'm afraid, put you at the back of the queue for jobs. Have you been in touch with FAS to see if they can offer help or provide you with an internship?

Oh I'm not looking for a career or anything that requires skill :L I have done the leaving cert and am now just waiting for results. I'm only looking for a crappy part-time job from now until I start college. I've been looking on the FAS "find a job" website and it's good but i haven't heard anything back :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I was in Branagans to buy meat last Saturday and they are looking for staff. They are in Rosemount Business Park. I'm not sure what vacancies they have but this is a meat processing company so working there might not be everybody's cup of tea.
    They have had the sing up for about a month now I reckon.

Advertisement