Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Stations - New Trials

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Three stations have appeared as part of the DB Digital Broadcasting trial in Dublin - All 80's, Radio Ri Ra and UCB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Picked them up this morning, the reception is very muddy, both on the DAB and DAB+ versions of the channels. I can get perfect reception on the RTÉ mux but these are unlistenable. I'm in Raheny so well within the range. Hopefully they'll improve as the test continues.

Bit disappointed that the extra channels will be just two more iPod on shuffle channels, and a christian station. Really can't see the need for them in this day and age. It would take Radio 4 to force me to buy another DAB radio, barely use the one I have as it is. RTÉ Choice is still the only useful thing there and most of it's good content is already available in podcast form.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dabfan

Coverage is limited to the east...

http://www.dbdb.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DAB_Dublin.jpg

Its to protect the services in the UK using the same channel - 12A (A condition of the license)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

They're showing up on my dial but I can't actually listen to them. I can see each of UCB, RíRá and All 80s, as well as the DAB+ of each station, even though I don't have a DAB+ receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Can't see the point of DAB/+ in this day and age in this world of mobile radio apps such as TuneIn Radio, coupled with deals like "all-you-can-eat-data" bundles. Plenty of single station apps out there too featuring interactivity to Facebook, studio email etc. Why didn't Dusty Rhodes do just that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big Tone wrote: »
    Can't see the point of DAB/+ in this day and age in this world of mobile radio apps such as TuneIn Radio, coupled with deals like "all-you-can-eat-data" bundles. Plenty of single station apps out there too featuring interactivity to Facebook, studio email etc. Why didn't Dusty Rhodes do just that?

There isn't the network capacity to handle every car on the M50 pulling in a different station. For multiple (well, a decent number of 'multiple') recipients, broadcast is still the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

Can't see Dab ever doing much in this country unless they shut down the FM service and force us to listen to it. The DAB trails in the south east here seem to be just aimlessly drifting along with little or no content . Tune in app , I phone and all you can eat data and I am sorted . People want wide choice hence growth of satellite tv , same goes for radio, it needs more than rte gold etc for people to get excited. Internet radio is the future ( in this country ) embrace it , it ain't going away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

decies wrote: »
    Can't see Dab ever doing much in this country unless they shut down the FM service and force us to listen to it. The DAB trails in the south east here seem to be just aimlessly drifting along with little or no content . Tune in app , I phone and all you can eat data and I am sorted . People want wide choice hence growth of satellite tv , same goes for radio, it needs more than rte gold etc for people to get excited. Internet radio is the future ( in this country ) embrace it , it ain't going away.

the future? it's been around for nearly 20 years.

welcome to 2012 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

decies wrote: »
    The DAB trails in the south east here seem to be just aimlessly drifting along with little or no content . .

Any time I look the multiplex is quite full...today it has the following;

4FM
    Beat 102-103
    KCLR96fm (DAB+)
    Phantom FM
    Radio Nova
    RTE 2XM (DAB+)
    South East Radio
    Tipp FM
    UCB Ireland
    WLR FM (DAB+)

Out of all those, only 1 is available across the same region (Beat) and on DAB I find the quality of the audio substantially better than FM.
    In the past it's also had Sunshine 106.8 and Talksport as well as temporary stations such as Christmas FM and Zenith Classic Rock.

I often listen to 4FM and Nova and have a DAB radio in my car and find the coverage excellent around most of Wexford and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

bkehoe wrote: »
    on DAB I find the quality of the audio substantially better than FM.

What bit rate are the stations running at ?

Infoanon wrote: »
    What bit rate are the stations running at ?

Beat, which is the easy one to compare to FM which is why I mentioned it is normally running at 160k but for the last month has been at 192k although I can't say I noticed any difference from the extra bitrate.

The rest I've added the bitrates as follows;
    4FM - 128k
    Beat 102-103 - 192k
    KCLR96fm (DAB+) - 64k
    Phantom FM - 128k
    Radio Nova - 160k
    RTE 2XM (DAB+) - 80k
    South East Radio - 128k
    Tipp FM - 128k
    UCB Ireland - 112k
    WLR FM (DAB+) - 80k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Eamonn O'Cuiv was on RTE radio tonight talking about the need for a second Irish language service.

He then mentioned that the service already existed - RiRa - but was only available on the internet........

He also said €2m should be available to the service.......

€2m a year to provide a DAB service seems extraordinary

puffishoes wrote: »
    the future? it's been around for nearly 20 years.

welcome to 2012 :)
    I mean portable devices like I phone etc lol

Any time I look the multiplex is quite full...today it has the following;

4FM
    Beat 102-103
    KCLR96fm (DAB+)
    Phantom FM
    Radio Nova
    RTE 2XM (DAB+)
    South East Radio
    Tipp FM
    UCB Ireland
    WLR FM (DAB+)

Out of all those, only 1 is available across the same region (Beat) and on DAB I find the quality of the audio substantially better than FM.
    In the past it's also had Sunshine 106.8 and Talksport as well as temporary stations such as Christmas FM and Zenith Classic Rock.

I often listen to 4FM and Nova and have a DAB radio in my car and find the coverage excellent around most of Wexford and Waterford.
    Of those only 4fm would only Interest me to be honest , crystal clear bbc radio on Internet radio can't believe I had to listen to mw for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Infoanon wrote: »
    Eamonn O'Cuiv was on RTE radio tonight talking about the need for a second Irish language service.

He then mentioned that the service already existed - RiRa - but was only available on the internet........

He also said €2m should be available to the service.......

€2m a year to provide a DAB service seems extraordinary

Hey, do ya know what show that was on and roughly what time? Would be interested in listening back.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Drivetime. Around 20 past six yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

Is it still just the ten RTE stations which are available on DAB in the west of the country ?

Yeah, just RTE. The Dublin trial may be simulcast outside Dublin next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

I love DAB, it combines the simplicity of an FM radio with the sound quality of a good quality internet stream. Some of the streams on TuneIn are rubbish quality, especially when you listen with headphones. And there is too much choice on TuneIn, I can never make up my mind what to listen to and stick to my choice for more than 5 minutes before changing the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

There isn't the network capacity to handle every car on the M50 pulling in a different station. For multiple (well, a decent number of 'multiple') recipients, broadcast is still the way to go.
    I've noticed my DAB radio signal goes when i drive under the bridges on the M50! :(
    (only briefly though :) )

delux wrote: »
    I've noticed my DAB radio signal goes when i drive under the bridges on the M50! :(
    (only briefly though :) )

What kind of radio and what kind of antenna do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I love DAB, it combines the simplicity of an FM radio with the sound quality of a good quality internet stream. Some of the streams on TuneIn are rubbish quality, especially when you listen with headphones. And there is too much choice on TuneIn, I can never make up my mind what to listen to and stick to my choice for more than 5 minutes before changing the channel.

What genre do you listen to?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Will RTE ever provide DAB to the rest of the country. The coverage is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

What kind of radio and what kind of antenna do you have?
    I'd have to double-check the exact model number but i think it's this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CDX-DAB6650-Car-player-Radio/dp/B0007P538M

Tech updates here...

https://twitter.com/dabtrial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Will RTE ever provide DAB to the rest of the country. The coverage is a disgrace.

Ain't much better in parts of Dublin!! My DAB channels are down the last couple of days. DAB frequently carries too many repeats IMHO, RTE 1 repeats extracts of the John Murray Show and Pat Kenny in the evenings. Also it appears with budget cuts around the World in the International Radio Services and retirements quite a number of the RTE Choice programs will be gone soon.

delux wrote: »
    I'd have to double-check the exact model number but i think it's this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CDX-DAB6650-Car-player-Radio/dp/B0007P538M

Wow, you've been a long time in car DAB user. That was the first DAB radio I got in my car back in late 2005 when they first came out. The quality of the tuner is good but it's all dependent on the type of antenna you're using. At the time it came out there were very few car DAB aerials on the market so most people fitted them using an Autoleads splitter on the original FM antenna on the car. This can have very variable results from very poor to good. I've never seen anything less than full signal on all the roads and underpasses around Dublin on the RTE mux.

As a benchmark I can receive the new DBDB trial as far South-West as Kilcullen on the M9 and it's variable in and around Newbridge. This is with a Pure Highway 300di and a Hirschman antenna. On tests in the SE this gives comparable results to the original Highway with a Blaupunkt antenna.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/DAB_car_aerials.html is the place to get all sorts of antennas as well as in-car DAB radios. Any of the body mount antennas from there would be a direct replacement for the original antenna fitted to your car and have separate leads for FM and DAB.

Ain't much better in parts of Dublin!! My DAB channels are down the last couple of days. DAB frequently carries too many repeats IMHO, RTE 1 repeats extracts of the John Murray Show and Pat Kenny in the evenings. Also it appears with budget cuts around the World in the International Radio Services and retirements quite a number of the RTE Choice programs will be gone soon.

You need to retune. Due to an issue with the service ID codes assigned to the RTE digital only services, changes in the multiplex configuration have been implemented which mean the favourites you have stored will be invalid and need reassignment. If you do an auto tune and trim station list on your radio I imagine all will be good once again.

Today Raidio Ri-Ra has appeared on the South-East multiplex, running at 128k Stereo. I wonder if All80s will be coming soon? :D

I've updated the following table from my previous post with the new bit rates.
    Beat, which is the easy one to compare to FM which is why I mentioned it is normally running at 160k but for the last month has been at 192k although I can't say I noticed any difference from the extra bitrate.

The rest I've added the bitrates as follows;
    4FM - 128k
    Beat 102-103 - 160k
    KCLR96fm (DAB+) - 56k
    Phantom FM - 112k
    Radio Nova - 160k
    RTE 2XM (DAB+) - 80k
    South East Radio - 128k
    Tipp FM - 128k
    UCB Ireland - 80k
    WLR FM (DAB+) - 64k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I've been listening to All 80's and they appear to be saying they are launching on Sept 1st

• Advertisement

Ensemble ID was changed yesterday to "DAB Ireland Mux2" and the twitter account states an increase in the audio bit rates Monday.

DF

Advertisement