Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

migraine triggers

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

I need to find mine, and don't know where to start :o

Used to get them very infrequently and then I go through phases of getting them every 3 weeks or so. They almost always end in vomiting too and I'd rather not be getting sick every few weeks, can't be good long term.

Doctor has pointed out a few things that trigger for most people: tomatoes, dairy, coffee, chocolate. I don't eat tomatoes or coffee, and don't have a lot of dairy or chocolate.

Can anyone give me an idea of what triggers their migraines?

My sinusitis also triggers them, as does stress, but I know there's something else too, just don't know what it is :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

Is it a GP or consultant you're seeing?

I think there's lots of triggers and even certain sounds/lights can be a trigger for some people. Have you started keeping a diary?

I don't get migraines but I had chronic sinus problems that turned out not to be anything to do with my sinuses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I've been to a consultant for sinusitis who said my constant sinus infections and problems were triggering my migraines. There's more to them then that. I've had a contraceptive pill trigger them before but not taking that anymore.

a food diary? No not taking any kind of diary, it might be a good start.

May I ask what your chronic sinus problems were caused by? They haven't figured out what causes mine, I was diagnosed with allergy induced rhinitis but my allergy blood tests came back clear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

Yeh, start a food diary and note in it what symptoms your having and when and note anything else that's going on - look up some migraine sights and see what type of triggers there are - if there's a pattern there you might start to notice something.

I have a problem with my jaw, for which I've just had surgery on this week. I'm hoping it'll work but there's no guarantees and I'm nervous. I'm not suggesting you have the same issue for a second (it could be a myriad of things, including you sinuses :)) but when I hear someone talking about sinus problems it rings a bell for me. I was diagnosed with "mild rhinitis" at one stage.

I had several "sinus infections" which resulted in several courses of antibiotics, each stronger than the last, which would do nothing only knock me out for a week.

There's a few people on here who have or have had sinus issues, pain issues or migraine so maybe you'll get some ideas here. If you feel your not getting anywhere with this doc maybe a second opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My migraines are definatley hormonal related . But I now think that while certain foods are not triggers by then selves they definately can make the episode worse.
    I stopped drinking coffee for yrs no difference
    I used to eat oranges every day I stopped amnd migraines are a lot less severe. Much less vomiting. So acidic foods are a problem for me it seems. Which is a problem as I love tomatoes, they impossible to avoid so I have cut down as much as I can.
    Im noticing that onions are an issue for me, bagels that have onion flavoured topping are not good.
    If I get dehydrated Im in trouble.
    Flicky lights in shops are a disaster. Night driving in rain is not easy
    A food diary is an excellent suggestion . See what foods you crave that can often be your problem food IMHO.
    I cant really drink any more, a hangover could last a week. Bud for some reason is very bad, heineken not too bad, wine can leave a dreadful hangover

I seem to have sinus issues too, the weather at times is a killer lately when it is very muggy.

If I ever have huge energy I often can have a migraine within 2 days. If I get overtired it can make things worse

Migraines are the bane of my life, I used to take zomig or imigram but I found they only delayed the attack. now I just take paramax and if I take 2 early enough, it can really help. Mine can be bad by day but get really bad by night, (This prob the only reason Ive not been fired yet)

I hope you find answers soon, I might start looking more at my sinus to see if I can find a link there. I took sinutab once and ended up in hospital they said pain was caused by sinus getting to dried out. I thought I was going to go mad.

I hope you get some relief OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Your experience sounds quite like mine - recurring sinusitis and intermittent episodes of migraine. My triggers are typical, (dark chocolate being the most effective), and hunger, which took me a long time to figure out. I find sleeping late also does it sometimes. Have you tried medication? I take abortive with limited success, since I don't get the aura and am never quite sure which headaches will become full blown episodes. I tried a course of efexor recently, which is an antidepressant but is typically prescribed as a prophylactic - it worked brilliantly, although coming off it has been absolutely horrible.

Edit - just to be more specific to your question. The last time I ate dark chocolate, I had a piece of 85% chilli chocolate which induced a full episode which peaked with vomiting in around 90 mins. Hunger has a threshold of about 3 hours, after which an episode begins in the same time. If i take a syndol early on I sometimes get lucky and it passes with less intensity - you perhaps need to start monitoring a bit more closely as the posters above said. Take note of the circumstances and activities of your bad days, record what interventions work or don't. Also a small wet towel for your forehead does wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Thanks for the help so far :)

Definitely thinking one of my triggers is alcohol. Out lastnight, didn't drink a lot and the pain around my nose is crippling today. Nauseous and headachey all day like a full blown hangover, but more nasal based. The other thing is, what I was drinking was alcopops so it would have been full of colourants and additives.

Trying to keep track of my foods too.

Weather change is also a trigger :rolleyes: and unavoidable unfortunately.

That's all I've got so far but its a start I guess.

Usually I try solpadeine or solpasinus depending where the pain starts. I have this nose spray for migraine, can't remember what its called, but haven't used it as yet because usually by the time I figure out if its becoming a full blown migraine its already too late :( don't get any relief from motillium for the nausea/vomiting.

Advertisement