Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting League Into Our Schools

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a young guy in a rugby school in Dublin. Union is undoubtedly my favourite sport but I won't hide from the fact that I have a passion for league as well! I'll be involved in senior cup rugby next year but after that I'm looking to organise a competition in April/May that will get the big union schools involved in playing league.
    I think the selling point of this would be the benefits of league attributes carrying over to the guys' union game and also creating a mutual respect for both rugby codes. I also think it could boost league in the area and make people more enthusiastic about it.

Any ideas/considerations? Please give me a reply whenever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Well to start off I'll be really negative on your idea;

- Most people in Ireland have no idea this game really even exists. Those heavily involved in rugby unions circles would but followers? Not many I'm afraid.
    - Rugby schools generally have strong Athletics traditions as well and encourage a lot of their better athletes into that for the summer. You're pulling against that fact.

BUT

You are right, the benefits of this would be many for rugby squads.

And in addition, the GAA has a minor presence in these schools for the summer term.http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfojojojmhid/rss2/

Best of luck with it. Your focus on which age grade to target would be interesting and to get it off the ground you'd need interest from a teacher in those schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

your heart is in the right place 2015 as you can see by the replys you got , un less your a aussie or kiwi, this is not the place for requests from rugby league in ireland there are a number of people you could contact . on rli.ie. also there are youth rugby players in malahide co dublin dont have a contact

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Yeah cheers for the advice lads. Know the sport is a complete 'what are you talking about?' in Ireland.

I'll see what I can do. Hope the RLI guys make an effort to reply considering they should be doing everything possible to grow the game! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

2015, contact gordon matthews <snip>, he has a contact for a youth team in dublin who
    are looking to play some matches they have not had a game yet . its a start.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please do not post personal numbers - particularly not those of other people

@rugbyman2015, if you would like the number, please PM big barrie for it

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

themont85 wrote: »
    Well to start off I'll be really negative on your idea;

- Most people in Ireland have no idea this game really even exists. Those heavily involved in rugby unions circles would but followers? Not many I'm afraid.
    - Rugby schools generally have strong Athletics traditions as well and encourage a lot of their better athletes into that for the summer. You're pulling against that fact.

BUT

You are right, the benefits of this would be many for rugby squads.

And in addition, the GAA has a minor presence in these schools for the summer term.http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfojojojmhid/rss2/

Best of luck with it. Your focus on which age grade to target would be interesting and to get it off the ground you'd need interest from a teacher in those schools.

you're bang on there saying that when the season's over, most players are pushed into GAA to keep their fitness level.

I always do the same, but this year I'm joining a RL team and see does that help me.

Advertisement