Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I can get a custom part fabricated?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Not so much a technical question but I am hoping one of the techies can lead me in the right direction. I want a small enough part machined, preferably from aluminium! Has anyone ever had this done? Or do they know anyone who can do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

know anyone who can do it?

ye man,ask the chineese,anything you want they can do.

no seriously dude im not too sure,my first stop would be a steel engineering factory and see what they say or what direction they would send you.start with who you think would know and go from there untill you get to who you want. asking questions to people connected in some form to what you want will get you to where you want to go. me thinks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Heard of people getting stuffed machined alright, just a matter of finding a local Metal engineering Shop really and giving them precise plans, CAD designs would probably be the winner if you have access to that sort of software. I'd imagine the biggest obstacle is getting asked what the part is and what's it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

I'd imagine the biggest obstacle is getting asked what the part is and what's it for.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

See milling machines, software design packages, highly skilled CAD qualified engineers, materials, shop space are all really expensive so basing a business off a model that only does one off pieces would have to charge astronomical amounts per piece to make the model work.

There would be a good demand though for someone in that line of work doing odd jobs like this on their own time for a fee. Still, designing something on CAD takes time and so much of it relies to extremely accurate measurements from the requester ... something most folks wouldnt be able to give with any degree of accuracy.

Your best bet would be find someone in the business and see if they cant do a tommer for you. Cant say i have ever seen any firm - large or small - do one offs

It might be worth your while emailing these folks to see if they can do the job, I would imagine at the very least you'd need to supply them with a CAD drawing. http://www.hassettprecision.ie/index.html
    The CAD software can be got on any major torrent site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Cheers for the replies gents! I am surprised no one on here does this sort of thing, seen a guy on the shooting forum CNC machined his own lower receiver for an AR15 and it was perfect. He lived in the states which is a pity! If anyone knows anyone who could do it please let me know! The part looks simple enough, simple enough to the point that I am considering having a crack at it myself with a dremel!

Any more ideas are appreciated!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the biggest obstacle is getting asked what the part is and what's it for.

The part is inconspicuous enough to be anything! I am settling on a prototype filtration system!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

depending on how big the part is id check with your local FAS centre to see if theres any milling and lathe courses or see if theres any fitters doing there block release, like you i wanted a part machined and the instructor was happy to oblige and gave it to one of his students to do it at the end of the day its experience to them, didnt cost me a penny now having said that it wasnt a piece out of billet alluminium r anything but its worth a shot.

just look up engineering firms, toolmakers, etc id imagine you'll have greater access to them than i would in kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

check your local secondary school perhaps? i know mine has a CNC machine with all the software and everything ,im sure there are more around the country, if you checked with the metalwork teacher he may be able help you machine it and get the right design.

i no its mid summer but if you waited til september it may be an option

Righto been doing my homework and have come across a method called cold casting! Has anyone any experience with it? Its the process of mixing a resin with a metal dust giving a metallic finish! Seems easy enough to do and is apparently quite cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

If your going down the cold casting method there is an irish product that would help to be used as the silicone mould clled sugru....http://sugru.com/

Can be shaped to make the mould and will set firmly enough to be a good mould but still flexible enough to be able to remove the piece.

• Advertisement
Advertisement