Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better to join - Powerscourt, Dun Laoghaire, Carton or Druids Glen?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anyone have any insightful comments to help me choose between these clubs (or maybe any other suggestions).
    I live in Leopardstown.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Considering your in Leopardstown I would have to assume the answer would be Powerscourt, Dun Laoghaire or Druids glen. For amenities they are all of a very high standard with driving ranges, fine club houses and challenging courses. For wow factor it would have to be Druids glen for me but not sure how strong a club it is on competition level. I am pretty sure Dun Laoghaire would tip the scale if its interclub golf you are looking for. I think the answer lies in what you are looking for.

Personally I feel you cannot go wrong with either of these clubs, I would rule Carton out purely on your location. If it was for sheer pleasantries I would pick Druids Glen. If my ambition was to play for a good interclub team I would have to think very hard between Dun Laoghaire and Powerscourt with Dub Laoghaire probably winning out although it is a course for the future and I would rate Powerscourt a more enjoyable course / courses presently.

you cant lose in any of them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

Pretty well summed up above.
    I've never played carton so can't comment but played the other 3 many times each. Dun laoghaire has fantastic facilities, the best around I would think. It's a course for the future alright but currently gets lots of wind, quite exposed. I'm not sure the 3 nines is a good thing either. Druids glen is such a beautiful place, some holes as good as you will find anywhere. It has limited atmosphere round the place because so few members.
    Powers court has 2 smashing courses, ok practice facilities abd as more of a buzz about the place than the other two. For location powers court or dun laoghaire are closer to you. Tough choice to make but a nice one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi wrote: »
    Powers court has 2 smashing courses, ok practice facilities abd as more of a buzz about the place than the other two. For location powers court or dun laoghaire are closer to you. Tough choice to make but a nice one at that!

How come you think Powerscourt only has Ok practice facilities? Thought they were very good. Full length driving range (although uphill which isn't ideal in terms of accurate yardages), two putting greens and a short game practice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

How come you think Powerscourt only has Ok practice facilities? Thought they were very good. Full length driving range (although uphill which isn't ideal in terms of accurate yardages), two putting greens and a short game practice area.

I would say their practice facilities are good probably on a par with the glen but nowhere close to dun laoghaire but then again I don't know of anywhere as strong as dun laoghaire locally. Only negative for me in powers court practice facility is its out in the elements, the glens driving range is sheltered but that wouldn't even be a consideration for me when thinking about joining a club to be honest.

They all have everything you need

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Given your location, I would go with Powerscourt - two very good courses and has matured well.

Its down to personal choice, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

Maybe I should have been more specific...if you compare them to Dun Laoghaire or Druids they are not as good...I haven't seen facilities anywhere that comares to Dun Laoghaire. Druids have a good sheltered range. The uphill doesn't really bother me but in Powerscourt there is no cover and therefore makes it inaccessible at times, unless when you want to get the raingear on to practice/warm up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I would say their practice facilities are good probably on a par with the glen but nowhere close to dun laoghaire but then again I don't know of anywhere as strong as dun laoghaire locally.
    Maybe I should have been more specific...if you compare them to Dun Laoghaire or Druids they are not as good...I haven't seen facilities anywhere that comares to Dun Laoghaire. Druids have a good sheltered range. The uphill doesn't really bother me but in Powerscourt there is no cover and therefore makes it inaccessible at times, unless when you want to get the raingear on to practice/warm up...

Have yet to play Dun Laoghaire so when I get the chance will be sure to get there early and sample the superior practice facilities. Covered practice facilities are nice for the inclement weather we always seem to get in this country but it's also hard to beat being out in the air and hitting of grass on the fine days. Having said that the uncovered facilities in Powerscourt are mostly mat based which isn't ideal in summer but there is the option to hit off grass also.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

Dun Laoghaire have taken in new members this year and I joined after 2 years of trawling round courses in the greater Dublin area looking for a permanent home after using a distance membership to get my handicap.

No regrets and the cost for me was much better than Druids or Powerscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Dun Laoghaire have a 500 euro bar levy on top of your subscription :rolleyes:

Advertisement