Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inspector stopping my payment

Options
  • 30-06-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Guys - an inspector arrived to my house to interview me about jobseekers allowance and my girlfriend was staying over. she stays over a few nights every week. the inspector asked me who was living in the house and i said i was alone - but my girlfriends things ( baby buggy and her kids toys) wer in the house. He asked again and i refused to give any details of my girlfriend.
    He noted that i had refused to coperate on the file.

Now my payment is stopped and ive been told its because i didnt comply with the inspector and the rules - is this right ? Can the stop my payment ? Surely its none of theyre business if i have someone stay over???:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When you applied you completed a form
    You gave details of your rent, how many live there and other info

The inspector comes around to check the address exists, you are there and your form matches you said

Just call to the office on Monday and organize a meeting and say what you want to say to the inspector

JSA is means tested so the inspector sees your gf staying there and reckons she is supporting you
    Jobseeker's Allowance is a means-tested payment. Your means must be below a certain level to get Jobseeker’s Allowance. A means test looks at all your sources of income including your spouse’s, civil partner’s or cohabitant's. However, some income may not be taken into account. (A cohabitant is a person living in an intimate and committed relationship with a person of the same or opposite sex who is not that person’s spouse, civil partner, or a close relative.)

Lots of info here, great website
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/jobseekersupports/jobseekersallowance/Pages/ja.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Truskmore

thanks mikemac - but we dont live together and she dosent support me !! she just stays over maybe 2 r 3 nights a week ! why do i have to prove this to the inspector??

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

Truskmore wrote: »
    thanks mikemac - but we dont live together and she dosent support me !! she just stays over maybe 2 r 3 nights a week ! why do i have to prove this to the inspector??

Because the inspector want to verify if the details you gave him are correct.
    Yes you are permitted to have people stay over but any more than 3 nights a week and that place becomes their primary residence in the eyes of the SW.
    Tbh if you had any idea you were having am inspection, I wouldnt have had kids toys etc lying around, it would obviously bring those questions from the inspector. And they are just doing their jobs.
    You are able to appeal this decision, so you should. Bring any and all details you need to aid your appeal and comply with the inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Have your girlfriend go with you and she could bring some bills or bank statements with her proving that she lives in a place of her own.

Advertisement