Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWA When completing thesis

Options
  • 30-06-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys Im new to the site so take it easy on me :).
    Just have a question for you all.
    I have recently finished my postgrad and Im writing my thesis over the summer months and also actively seeking work. My course finished officially on the 21st May 2012 with the hand up of the thesis in September.

I applied for JCA on the 22nd May and my application was taken with no hassle.
    The next obvious step then was to apply for SWA,which I did.
    I produced everythinkg for the CWO, my partners bank statements, letter from the college to say that the course had finished and all other documents that the CWO asked for.

This process took four weeks and in the end I was told that I was unable to claim SWA because I was still class as a full-time student under the Social Welfare Consolidations act of 2005.

Here is the section from the act:

(3) For the purposes of this section, a person shall be regarded, subject to regulations made under subsection (1), as attending a course of study—

(c) for the period immediately following the completion of one academic year, other than the final academic year of a course of study, up to the beginning of the following academic year.

The letter I received from the CWO went like this " Students who have completed examinations but are required to submit theses is regarded as still in full-time education".

Have you guys got a opinion on this, I am looking for work and are classed in the eyes of the Social Protection as available for work.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Unfortunately this particular forum is not the place for opinions on the rules of the dept.If you are unhappy with any decision made by the dept of social welfare appeal it,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement