Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo ID question

Options
  • 30-06-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭

My son is on jsa and yesterday received a letter telling him that he would have to attend the social welfare office on July 12th to have his signature recorded electronically. So far,thats fine. (Its everyone,not just him btw)

But here lies the problem. He has to bring photo ID. He has never had a driving licence or passport,so doesnt actually have photo ID.
    He has said he will apply for a passport but it will take him some time to save for it.
    There is no way he will have it for the 12th of July,even if he had the money for it now!

Will a garda ID card do? and if it will,how long would it take to get that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Here's the official line on it.
    Evidence of identity

You can provide evidence of your identity by showing your passport or your driver's licence.
    If you do not have either a passport or driver’s licence, you should bring any other document that you may have, particularly one that has your photograph on it.
    The following documents may also be acceptable: credit card, debit card, medical card, age ID card, work ID card, club membership card.
    The following items are not accepted as proof of identity:
    • Birth or Baptismal certificates
    • Bills or personal letters
    A claim cannot be decided until identity has been proven.
    If he has anything with his name on it at all, bring it. How did he prove his identity when the claim was first submitted?

A Garda age card should be acceptable, and would be cheaper and probably quicker to get that either a learner's permit or passport.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Thanks Buffman. Just looked there and the garda id would take at least 10 days.
    They (social welfare) didnt think this through I think. Its going to cause them more headaches than anything.

The right way to have done this,I think, would be to issue a photo card from social welfare.
    My son (and others) will suffer now because of their huge assumptions,that everyone owns photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

He can go into his local garda station with a passport type photo and there is a form that he can fill in(cant remember the name of it) and the garda will verify that he is who he says he is and he can take this form with the photo attached to the sw office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

eastbono wrote: »
    He can go into his local garda station with a passport type photo and there is a form that he can fill in(cant remember the name of it) and the garda will verify that he is who he says he is and he can take this form with the photo attached to the sw office.

ML10 form I believe it's called. Post Offices stopped accepting these months ago. Not sure about SW offices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

SW offices no longer accept ML 10 forms and I have been told Gardai are not meant to issue them either.
    How did he get his claim with no photo ID??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Chucken wrote: »
    The right way to have done this,I think, would be to issue a photo card from social welfare.

Yep, but they would still likely require you to prove identity first.
    Chucken wrote: »
    My son (and others) will suffer now because of their huge assumptions,that everyone owns photo ID.

All he can do is just go in with whatever documents he has in his name, school stuff, Leaving Certificate, anything, and if they don't accept it then he'll have to go about getting a photo ID.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Advertisement