Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1690 - Glorious Revolution or Sectarian Putsch ?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Since it's that time of year again when the Orange Order gets into full swing with claims that they are celebrating " King Billy beating the Pope at the battle of the Boyne which brought in Civil and Religious liberty " etc I would have thought that maybe a discussion on the reality of the outcome would be appropriate.

So can anyone explain how it is the belief of the Orange Order that

(a) King Billy beat the Pope at the battle of the Boyne ?
    When in fact the Pope supported him not just verbally but also financially " two Italian historians claim Innocent XI, who became pope in 1676, gave substantial amounts of money to William in the hope of securing himself a secret and powerful ally within the Protestant camp " http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121481

(b) The victory brought in Civil and Religious liberty ?
    In fact even more discriminatory laws against Catholics and Dissenters were brought in such as :

* Barred from membership in either the Parliament of Ireland or the Parliament of Britain until 1829

* Ban on Catholics buying land under a lease of more than 31 years; repealed 1778.

* Presbyterian marriages were not legally recognised by the state.

* "No person of the popish religion shall publicly or in private houses teach school, or instruct youth in learning within this realm upon pain of twenty pounds fine and three months in prison for every such offence. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

(a) King Billy beat the Pope at the battle of the Boyne ?

Because William was a Protestant and James was a Catholic. The nuances of such a battle are probably lost on people who taunt about beating the Pope on a battlefield.

(b) The victory brought in Civil and Religious liberty ?
    Come on Tommie- You are saying that:

The orange order (who ban catholics from being equal members of their organisation) celebrate a victory that brought religous liberty (including Catholics presumably). Do you see the contradiction? I presume though that you know that and were only trying to make a point in the OP to see if anyone challenged it.

I try to see things from both sides of an argument usually but the orange order is a bigoted organisation (definition). I say that as they have never allowed a Catholic become a member AFAIK. It is a positive thing for NI that the Orange order numbers are falling as it breeds this type of religous division into people from a young age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Can't say i've ever heard an O.O. member saying the Pope was defeated in 1690. Really, not very good, you must try harder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement