Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a record

Options
  • 30-06-2012 10:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

Since getting interested in genealogy I have made a tremendous amount of progress but recently I have come to a problem which is stalling this. I am trying to learn the mother’s details of a Waterford women named Johanna McDonnell born about 1877. Her father was Michael McDonnell. I don’t know her birthplace but he appears in a trade directory as a labour in Waterford City at Spring Garden Alley in 1877. So presumably she was born in Waterford City. I have searched for birth certs and marriage certs under many variants of the surname to no avail in the civil registration lists and baptismal ones on rootsireland and not just in Waterford. Marriage certs for this area seem to be absent from rootsIreland for the time being. Am I missing something or is it just not out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

RootsIreland dont have any Waterford marriages yet, just RC baptisms. Presumably CofI records and RC marriages will be added at some stage...possibly also civil records (i.e. certs)

Which marriage are you searching for, Johanna's or her father ?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

How do you know she was from Waterford city? Are you sure that the Michael McDonnell in the directory is her father? There are a number of Johanna McDonnell/Donnell/O'Donnells in Roots Ireland whose father is Michael and several in county Waterford in the civil index

Take a look at the Ireland, Birth & Baptisms 1620-1881 on familysearch.org, there a few good possibilities there. You have to do further work to decide which is the correct one though. Have you any sibling names from other records?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

How do you know she was from Waterford city? Are you sure that the Michael McDonnell in the directory is her father? There are a number of Johanna McDonnell/Donnell/O'Donnells in Roots Ireland whose father is Michael and several in county Waterford in the civil index

Take a look at the Ireland, Birth & Baptisms 1620-1881 on familysearch.org, there a few good possibilities there. You have to do further work to decide which is the correct one though. Have you any sibling names from other records?

I am quite sure that this man is her father, as her father is listed in her civil wedding cert as Michael McDonnel of Spring Garden ally. I don't have any sibling records. Family search hasn't narrowed it down. I have eliminated other Johanna's Donnells with Michael as a father in Waterford including one from 1879 on rootsireland. I guess more work is need on finding possible birth records from a wider area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

civil marriage certs give the current addresses of the bride & groom - which may not be the family home

S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

shanew wrote: »
    civil marriage certs give the current addresses of the bride & groom - which may not be the family home

S.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind but it seems to me to be an unlikely coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

robp wrote: »
    I have searched for birth certs and marriage certs under many variants of the surname to no avail in the civil registration lists...

Who did she marry?

Advertisement