Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers while working part time

Options
  • 30-06-2012 9:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm a full time student in receipt of the BTEA of 188 per week which also allows me to work any hours I want as long as it doesn't affect my college attendance.

For the 3 summer months I got swtiched to Jobseekers Allowance, and have just started a bar job working approximately 3/4 shifts a week (about 22 hours)

Am I still able to claim Jobseekers?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you work over 4 days you get no jsa and it might effect your btea for next year. During the term you can work 20 hrs max per week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you work over 4 days you get no jsa and it might effect your btea for next year. During the term you can work 20 hrs max per week.

I won't be working over 4 days. Thanks for clearing that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I presume you are reverting to jsa for the Summer. If you are working casually you need to let sw know and your claim for the summer will be re-categorised to casual whereby you have to hand in dockets every week stating what days you work you will also have to provide payslips in order for your means to be assessed as jsa is a means tested payment. Any week you work 4 days you will not receive any payment from sw.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wmpdd3 wrote: »

^^^ where are you getting that from?

Can you post some guidelines or link or quote to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

NOTE TO MOD:

You could combine my last 2 posts into one before approving if you wish:

/Start post

Here is a link to the guidelines:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

Note this part in particular:
    BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing from second level to third level approved undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year. Participants are also required to notify the Department of cessation of participation on a course

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

I was under the impression you could work as many hours as you like while claiming BTEA as its not means tested, as long as your work doesn't interfere with your studies and college attendance, not just 20 hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I was under the impression you could work as many hours as you like while claiming BTEA as its not means tested, as long as your work doesn't interfere with your studies and college attendance, not just 20 hour?

While you are on btea that is the case but you revert to jsa for the summer months and different criteria apply to jsa. As I already said while you are on jsa for summer months and working casually you need to go to sw office and your claim will be re-catogerised to casual and you will fill in dockets every week stating the days you work and dont work and you will need to supply payslips in order that your means can be assessed for casual jsa.

Advertisement