Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submitting a masters with ircset funding

Options
  • 29-06-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am about to go into my third year of ircset funding and am not sure how long it is going to take me to finish my research to PhD as intended. I am thinking of maybe just finishing what i have left to do and get a masters from it besides running out of funding in year 4 and not really sure when ill finish.

Im wondering will there be a problem with ircset since i signed up to do a phd initially but at the rate things are going, i will be long out of ircset funding before i graduate. It will definitely take me into year 3 to finish the masters at least and to be honest i cant see myself doing this for another year or 2 after to get the phd.

Has anyone else done this or is it not really an issue? Its not like i havent done any research. Ive written a few conference papers and i will definitely be able to write a journal paper out of what my masters would contain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I know a few people with IRCSET funding who only got a masters at the end of it because things didn't work out for various reasons. IRCSET didn't come looking for money back or anything if that's what you're worried about.

If you're at the stage where you're confident about getting a journal paper published though then you may well not be far of getting the full PhD. You need to have a serious and frank talk with your supervisor about your position and get their honest opinion about how far off the PhD you are. I know it may seem like there's no end in sight but they may be able to lay out on the table what things you need to finish it off and round up everything into a nice complete package.

And start writing that journal paper as soon as possible!... some of them take ages to provide the first round of feedback.

Advertisement