Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wedding Present

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

This should be good. One of the best 'indie' albums ever committed to vinyl.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0629/weddingpresent.html

Saw them a few years ago when their Take Fountain album was out and they were still pretty decent then. Surprised that they are still going though tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Seamonsters tour

SFX
    15 May 1991

Support Buffalo Tom

Great gig with crazy moshing. They ended with Heather.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Thanks for the heads up.
    I was never a real fan of TWP. "Seamonsters' was pretty good though.
    I know I saw these guys play live a couple or more times back in the day but sod me if I remember where or when what with the sublime mixture of hormones, alcohol and etc. that coursed through me at the time. I kind of ended up at WP gigs to be honest- both here and in UK.

Baby-sitter permitting I may well go along in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The George Best anniversary show was pretty good, sh1t venue and giant dancing rabbit aside.

Sea Monsters is ace, I think I'll go. 'Just hope they play their cover of Come up and See Me, it's tacked on to the album as a bonus track.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    They ended with Heather.

And opened with "Kennedy"!

My favorite album by them, one of my favorites by anyone, but what's the point of this gig at all? I mean I'll definitely go see them anyway so I feel a bit odd saying this, but The Wedding Present are basically Gedge plus three blokes, and the band who played on Seamonsters haven't been in the same room as each other in 21 years.

Quite literally too, as Peter Solowka was turfed out on his ear before the thing was ever even released and never even played on the original tour at all. In fact by the time the next new album came out only Simon Smith was left, and even he hasn't played with them in about 15 years now.

Granted David Gedge wrote all the songs so they're essentially his property to do with as he pleases, but a "tribute'' show to an album where none of the original band are playing sounds a bit smug to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

You have somewhat of a point.

Dave Gedge always was the driving force of the weddingpresent (its definitely not him and three blokes by the way these days) and seeing him perform and hearing the full album live (usually with one or two of the hits from the other albums) is always going to bring in Weddoes fans.

The first three songs Dalliance - Dare - Suck would be enough for me to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Seamonsters tour

SFX
    15 May 1991

Support Buffalo Tom

One of the first gigs I went to and certainly the first 'dark and dingy' club gig. When Buffalo Tom sauntered on stage and started playing their very loud, melodic music I was hooked and have been a huge fan since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Decuc500 wrote: »
    One of the first gigs I went to and certainly the first 'dark and dingy' club gig. When Buffalo Tom sauntered on stage and started playing their very loud, melodic music I was hooked and have been a huge fan since.

Saw this in Belfast, at the old Mandela Hall in QUB. Brilliant doens't cover it.

I remember the Wedding Present coming on stage to the sesame street music.

Buffalo Tom were cracking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Seamonsters tour

SFX
    15 May 1991

Support Buffalo Tom

Amazing show, thanks for reminding me about it, nlgbbbblth - we were at all the same gigs as kids!

Not sure I'd want to see a Seamonsters show - I listened to Seamonsters recently, and found it dull and self-important.

Bizarro, on the other hand, is so fun, with that amazing WP guitar sound, brilliant tunes, and is back in my regular listening rotation after a 20 year absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Wedding Present, Róisín Dubh, Galway, last Saturday night

Gawlay-Wedding-Present.jpg

wedding-Present2.jpg

wedding-Present-Galway.jpg

IMGP9980.jpg

Nice photos. Really enjoyed the gig - we were up the front for the duration. Great to pogo again.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Tivoli

SubBusted wrote: »
    Tivoli

good gig. I think they opened with Silver Shorts.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Do you remember who did support?

SubBusted wrote: »
    Do you remember who did support?

Candy Apple Red?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Who's the bloke on bass????;)

Advertisement