Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Saw Advice

Options
  • 29-06-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hope I'm not raking over old ground here. I want to get a decent table saw for my small workshop. I've been using an 'Aldi Special' for the last few years but tired of lack of accuracy, and its beginning to fall apart. I can stretch to about €1,000. So far I've identified a number of models such as the SIP 01574, JET JTS600, Record TS250RS, Axminster AW10BSB2. These appear to fit my bill as they have cast iron top but are not hugely weighty (my workshop has a suspended timber floor), they are around 2HP (my electrical supply to the workshop would not support a 3HP unit), they have a sliding carriage to help with slightly longer lengths. Trouble is I know no-one with experience of these machines, and the few suppliers in Carlow (my nearest town) have little or nothing on show to try out. I can go to McQuillans but I think they only stock JET. Has anyone any advice or experience they could pass on to help me choose?

My projects range in size from lamps to beds and lots in between. Currently working on plans for a storage unit is sand-blasted pitch pine.

Thanks

Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Why not look for something second hand like a single phase Robland panel saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pmcgowan

Thanks. Not familiar with that brand. Had a quick look on DoneDeal and there are two available but at €3,500 that's way beyond my budget.

pmcgowan wrote: »
    Thanks. Not familiar with that brand. Had a quick look on DoneDeal and there are two available but at €3,500 that's way beyond my budget.

I'm sure if you look around you'll get one for your money. It might be 10 years or more old but they are a solid saw. Or Altendorf as well. There are plenty of panel saw brands. Have a look on donedeal for panel saw

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

I'm sure if you look around you'll get one for your money. It might be 10 years or more old but they are a solid saw. Or Altendorf as well. There are plenty of panel saw brands. Have a look on donedeal for panel saw

Jeez, if you can come across an altendorf for under a grand. Let me know will ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

Hope I'm not raking over old ground here. I want to get a decent table saw for my small workshop. I've been using an 'Aldi Special' for the last few years but tired of lack of accuracy, and its beginning to fall apart. I can stretch to about €1,000. So far I've identified a number of models such as the SIP 01574, JET JTS600, Record TS250RS, Axminster AW10BSB2. These appear to fit my bill as they have cast iron top but are not hugely weighty (my workshop has a suspended timber floor), they are around 2HP (my electrical supply to the workshop would not support a 3HP unit), they have a sliding carriage to help with slightly longer lengths. Trouble is I know no-one with experience of these machines, and the few suppliers in Carlow (my nearest town) have little or nothing on show to try out. I can go to McQuillans but I think they only stock JET. Has anyone any advice or experience they could pass on to help me choose?

My projects range in size from lamps to beds and lots in between. Currently working on plans for a storage unit is sand-blasted pitch pine.

Thanks

Paul

The axminster saw is supposed to be a good saw, I think sip have a very similar saw. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

teckel wrote: »

Jeez, if you can come across an altendorf for under a grand. Let me know will ya...

If I ever found one for that price is sell a kidney to buy it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Paul,
    Can you reinforce the floor under where the saw will be placed?
    There is a large supply of used machines at good prices currently on the market.
    Panel saws are nice and Altendorf and Robland are very nice saws but hey are more money than the OP's budget.
    But the OP may not need a panel saw by his own description of the work he does.

Look for a Wadkin 10AGS or similar with a sliding table.

http://www.scosarg.com/used-machines/dimension-saws-used.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Joe Mckennas in Limerick have a big selection of table saws

http://www.joemckenna.ie/machines/benchsaws-and-tablesaws

Paul,
    There is a large supply of used machines at good prices currently on the market.
    Panel saws are nice and Altendorf and Robland are very nice saws but hey are more money than the OP's budget.

Can't really reinforce the floor and that limits my choice. The Altendorf and Robland appear outside my budget. Also, my space is limited (total workshop is 4mx5m). Wadkins look very heavy from what I can see on the net and a lot are 3phase. Thanks, Paul

Joe Mckennas in Limerick have a big selection of table saws

http://www.joemckenna.ie/machines/benchsaws-and-tablesaws

Might take a trip there on Friday. I've used them for supplies in the past and they seem good to deal with.

• Advertisement

Paul,

Can't really reinforce the floor and that limits my choice. The Altendorf and Robland appear outside my budget. Also, my space is limited (total workshop is 4mx5m). Wadkins look very heavy from what I can see on the net and a lot are 3phase. Thanks, Paul

You can buy a 3phase to single phase converter to use on normal 240v power

Paul
    First off I know nothing of the saws you are interested in buying.
    I have an old Wadkin PK with a sliding table, it is very accurate, adaptable and heavy 1500 lbs +-. I run it off the mains with a phase converter.

When you decide on a saw do yourself another favour and buy a good blade like a Forrest woodworker 1 or 2 or similar, they are well worth the money.
    A mobility kit is something to consider for a small shop.
    BTW you are in the drivers seat in today's market as a buyer. So make a good deal. :D
    Good luck and keep us posted.

The Record TS250RS-PK/A as a package seems to be a good buy.
    http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/ts250rs-saw-package-deal

Good advise because you will not be limited to 240V when you decide other stationary shop tools are needed. :rolleyes:
    As the old saying goes ' bigger is better' for power tools.;)

Good advise because you will not be limited to 240V when you decide other stationary shop tools are needed. :rolleyes:
    As the old saying goes ' bigger is better' for power tools.;)

I don't understand your rollleyes? The converter is a box that converts the single phase to three phase so you can use thread phase machinery on single phase electricity.

Ya bigger is better with stationery woodwork machinery but budget will always dictate how big you can afford.

GD18
    I run most of my stationary tools off the mains with a phase converter.:cool:

Dude the rolled eyes are for "when you decide other stationary shop tools are needed."

There are always more tools, even if we can't afford them or have a place to put them. :rolleyes:

GD18
    I run most of my stationary tools off the mains with a phase converter.:cool:

Dude the rolled eyes are for "when you decide other stationary shop tools are needed."

There are always more tools, even if we can't afford them or have a place to put them. :rolleyes:

Oh right sorry dude u took them wrong earlier on. :-( My bad.

Ya can neve have enough tools. I have to buy them on the quiet these days so herself doesn't know till I gradually bring them out. Lol

My horizons are opening up here! Thanks.

I jumped up and down on my wooden floor and I reckon it will take a heavier machine (seems the timbers are sitting directly on dpm on concrete. With a mobile base I should be able to handle.

Just seen a Sedgewick 315 for sale at €850, but its sold! Is that a good make?

Saw a Wadkins AGS P for sale at €1950. Bit pricey! I'll keep looking.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

My horizons are opening up here! Thanks.

I jumped up and down on my wooden floor and I reckon it will take a heavier machine (seems the timbers are sitting directly on dpm on concrete. With a mobile base I should be able to handle.

Just seen a Sedgewick 315 for sale at €850, but its sold! Is that a good make?

Saw a Wadkins AGS P for sale at €1950. Bit pricey! I'll keep looking.

If its got all the bells and whistles , sliding table, rear extensions ect, its a gift. Good robust machine.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) At 4 x 5 metres your workshop is limited and table saws take up a lotta room.
    I'd look for a saw that 1. has a sliding table 2. has a fold down right extending table to take large sheets 3. Blade tilts to the left ( safer ) 4. has a good accurate fence.
    Curiously things like steel or cast iron, single or 3 phase don't matter too much at the DIY level.A 2hp single phase unit is fine.
    I have the DeWalt DW760 and am very happy with it but it doesn't have a fold down table.

Thanks for all the advice. After a lot off looking decided to go for the SIP 01574. Currently assembling it. No doubt the next post from me will be about "what does this do?" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Even if you got a saw that didn't have a sliding carriage you could make crosscut and mitre sleds to use if it has mitre slots in the table. Its the long arm on the sliding tables that take up a lot of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

woodturner wrote: »
    Even if you got a saw that didn't have a sliding carriage you could make crosscut and mitre sleds to use if it has mitre slots in the table. Its the long arm on the sliding tables that take up a lot of room.

The Yanks are keen on sleds as their standard saws don't have sliding tables. Trouble is they are relatively heavy to push across the blade and keep square at the same time.
    Some saws have a roller type sliding table with no support arm. However the OP has bought a SIP and I see that brand everywhere. Lets see how he gets on !

Advertisement