Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Pea Gravel

Options
  • 29-06-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where i can get a cheap amount of pea gravel in the Midwest area? I have seen 25KG bags in garden centres and stuff but where can i get more? Maybe a ton or half a ton?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

How much and what area??

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Want it in North Clare. Roughly 500KG maybe more not too sure yet

If you are close to a pit you ay be able to get a car trailer load or some builders providers stock it in 1Ton bags.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4 beanzie

Is p gravel ok to use for drainage in a garden? Its a small garden!

beanzie wrote: »
    Is p gravel ok to use for drainage in a garden? Its a small garden!

We may need a little more information, what exactly are you draining and to where? storm water? ground water, is the garden just wet?

• Advertisement

Im draining a lawn and flower beds into a storm water drain.The soil is very wet!! I dont have too much of a fall to play with so I was gonna use 2" abs piping with slots cut into it (with a small grinder). I was gonna put p gravel on top of the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I be of the view that 2" is too small and could clog up, and it seems alot of work to cut slots in. Land drain pipes are 4" and obviously have slots already. see the links below for some basic guidance. I'd say use a fabric to line the drain and pipe with decent size chip or pea, I think the tiny pea is more likely to silt up - best of luck!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061

http://www.gardenzine.co.uk/lawndrainage.html

Thanks for Your help Marzic

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

No probs, actually I was thinking a bit more about it and looking a bit more closely at the links and you might want to seek a bit of advice regarding using fabric to line the drains. That method comes from road side drainage ('French Drains') where the water flows to the edge of the carridgeway and down through the drainage stone and into the pipe, the fabric keeps the stone and pipe from silting up from the surrounding soil - it may not allow the water through freely from the surrounding soil. Farmers draining land wouldnt use it and that more closely matches what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

2inch shouldnt clog up in a small garden. I would go with 3 inch ( I use it on land all the time). You will have only small lenghts and small amounts of waters once it dries up properly. The pea gravel can be bought in Ennis, but I am sure there are Garden centres in Gort direction.

You can use the pipe with the Pea gravel, bring the gravel to the top and use it as feature. This will allow rain water to transport downwards.

As an alternative you can use the pipe from Connacht Agri. It is a plastic mesh in different diameters with a filter screen wrapped around the outside. This is buried in the ground and the idea being that the water will drain into the pipe through the filter in heavy boggy;peaty soils. It typically comes in 3metre lenghts so is cheap to buy rather than buying a whole role. The advantage being you don't need gravel. However, the pea gravel is tried and trusted.
    marzic wrote: »
    I be of the view that 2" is too small and could clog up, and it seems alot of work to cut slots in. Land drain pipes are 4" and obviously have slots already. see the links below for some basic guidance. I'd say use a fabric to line the drain and pipe with decent size chip or pea, I think the tiny pea is more likely to silt up - best of luck!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061

http://www.gardenzine.co.uk/lawndrainage.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement