Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 Years old and Clueless

Options
  • 29-06-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys and girls,

I'll try keep this post as short as I can with just a few questions. I am just thinking about starting to get the ball rolling on building and as you've probably gathered from the title its my first time.

So I'll start with the site. My partners father has 3 road frontage fields and has given us a choice of which one we want (obviously looking at the biggest one). The fields are all attached and are on a busy main road. There is only one gate from the road into the fields. This is in the first field, from there you can access the other two by walking through each one. We want the middle one.

The nearest house is her parents house which is beside the three sites and in the next site beyond that is a small primary school. That's all that's there other than a few other houses dotted around the countryside.

So my dream would be obviously to build my house here at some stage in the future but at the moment I don't fancy my chances of getting a mortgage so I'd love to move onto the site for the time being in a mobile home for a few years which I would set up all the services needed as in esb, water and septic tank for the mobile with the intention of redirecting the services to the house in the future.

So I'm looking for advise in all areas please, where do I even Start? :confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

An Architect should be your first point of call. He will check the site over for the obvious stuff like sight lines for a driveway and will give your options in terms of what you can build, in what style and to what size based on the size of the plot.

Many architects will do this for free (in our experience anyways just outside Dundalk).

Also, at 26 you're not young. Took us two years and a half years to get planning sorted. I started at 27. Pushing 30 now and I'm talkin to the bank about the mortgage.

I can't offer any advice on the mobile home aspect of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rayjdav

As you know nothing about the process, check out a local AT/Arch and get a site visit to dicuss your wants. They can then say if it is feasable or a non runner. Then, if probable, get them to set up a pre-planning meeting to discuss your proposal and if favourable outcome/vibe, start the official planning process.
    You mention a main road, refer to your local CDP and find status of road, if National Route, chances may be slim to get access to site. Local AT/Arch will confirm that for you too.
    Re the mobile, you will require planning permission for that too so why not rent till the other planning issue is sorted as Coco will unlikely give permission for access/foul treatment until all other aspects are in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bull McCabe.

Thank for the quick replies lads.
    All very helpful info.

Shiverineskimo, just out of curiosity, how much should I be looking at to get as far as you are (the planning stage sorted). I understand every case is wildly different but just looking at a rough cost for getting as far as going to the bank with my hand out. Are we looking at hundreds/thousands before the mortgage?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Architect cost me 3000 so far for drawings, planning and tender.

You'll need a solicitor to transfer the land to your other half's name also from her parents and her parents will need to file a tax return to declare exemption from the Capital Gains Tax as your other half can accept the land from a parent without being subject to CGT. We paid the Accountants bill for them as they were providing land and we didn't want to burden them.

The solicitor bill for a land transfer shouldn't be much but may still be a few hundred euro depending.

Our solicitor had a lot more to do because we were taking land from an adjacent field in return for a hedge-cutting agreement for the owner of that field so he could obtain sight-lines for his driveway so I couldn't tell you how much your Solicitor is likely to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Def need planning permission for the mobile home. Would you think about putting the mobile out the back of her parent's house.

From what I read of it, I would assume the planner's would want you to build on the field nearest the road rather than the one in the middle. They would call it "backyard developement" for building in the middle one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Ruby.

All three fields are by the road. When I say middle one I mean its the second of three road frontage sites along the road.

Not much room around the home house for the mobile due to trees and sheds and stuff but if i were to make room, do you think I would be exempt from getting planning?

Architect cost me 3000 so far for drawings, planning and tender.

You'll need a solicitor to transfer the land to your other half's name also from her parents and her parents will need to file a tax return to declare exemption from the Capital Gains Tax as your other half can accept the land from a parent without being subject to CGT. We paid the Accountants bill for them as they were providing land and we didn't want to burden them.

The solicitor bill for a land transfer shouldn't be much but may still be a few hundred euro depending.

Our solicitor had a lot more to do because we were taking land from an adjacent field in return for a hedge-cutting agreement for the owner of that field so he could obtain sight-lines for his driveway so I couldn't tell you how much your Solicitor is likely to cost.

Cheers again for the info.
    The missus's uncle is an architect and says that he'll sort us out with drawings and stuff when we are ready so hopefully that will save a few pennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Thanks for the reply Ruby.

All three fields are by the road. When I say middle one I mean its the second of three road frontage sites along the road.

Not much room around the home house for the mobile due to trees and sheds and stuff but if i were to make room, do you think I would be exempt from getting planning?

Ya there would be no problems with that, we wanted to do the same when building our house. Ended up putting it in my sister's site, she was building at the time. Stayed there for 2 years.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Ya there would be no problems with that, we wanted to do the same when building our house. Ended up putting it in my sister's site, she was building at the time. Stayed there for 2 years.

Rubygirl/BullMcCabe,
    To store the mobile on site does actually require planning permission.
    Attached link states the extent of the exemption associated with storage of mobile/caravan etc...
    Schedule 2, Part 1, Class 8 - Exempted Development.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

+1 on what raydav says

but if your applying for planning permission you can include the mobile as part of the application.

Its noot really the mobile thats the issue, its how it treats effluent thats created.

• Advertisement

Ya I've heard that before, that you can include the mobile in the planning application.

Does anyone know how long you could live on site/keep the planning permission before actually starting the build?
    I don't know why but I have 5 years in my head. Would that be right?

A standard permission last for 5 years but for the mobile, there will most likely be a stipulation that you will need the treatment system sorted before you can move in. Kinda makes sense really imo.

rayjdav wrote: »
    Rubygirl/BullMcCabe,
    To store the mobile on site does actually require planning permission.
    Attached link states the extent of the exemption associated with storage of mobile/caravan etc...
    Schedule 2, Part 1, Class 8 - Exempted Development.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

Thanks Rayjdav,

Interesting reading.

rayjdav wrote: »
    A standard permission last for 5 years but for the mobile, there will most likely be a stipulation that you will need the treatment system sorted before you can move in. Kinda makes sense really imo.

Well my plan was to get all the services including the treatment system on site for use in the mobile and then switch them to the house when at that stage of the build.

Could this work?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well my plan was to get all the services including the treatment system on site for use in the mobile and then switch them to the house when at that stage of the build.

Could this work?

that's the way it would have to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

So I'll start with the site. My partners father has 3 road frontage fields and has given us a choice of which one we want (obviously looking at the biggest one). The fields are all attached and are on a busy main road

What sort of busy road are we talking about? Is it a national primary or secondary route? If so, well then planning permission will be out of the question, and you might as well forget about it.
    If there is a sideroad going along one side of the land, a potential option would be to build an entrance road to link in with that.

Can you clarify what sort of road it is please?

Also, you will need planning permission for a WWTP if you are going for a temporary mobile home. In addition, you will need an electricity supply to it too.
    Thirdly, I would not recomment putting in a WWTP unless the house has had its detailled drainage design done by a PROPER civil engineer (as opposed to some fella who's "handy at d'oul CAD"). Most architects I have dealt with are more or less incompetent when it comes to drainage design (not their area in fairness though). They use too many rules of thumb as oppose to proper design standards. Last thing you want is to install a WWTP and when it comes to construction stage, you find that the levels and pipe gradients are bollixed up and you'll have to redo the whole WWTP, wasting $$$$.

Bonus Pack, Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

The road is an A road - National Secondary. The N68 Ennis to Kilrush road to be exact. There are no other side roads with access to the site. I know i'll be facing a lot of opposition from the council but I've seen houses being built on this road before.

Advertisement