Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding a temporary named driver to my car insurance policy

Options
  • 29-06-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

A friend of mine is visiting from Italy for a 2 weeks and as we have two cars I wanted to add her as a named driver on my car so she could have use of it during the trip.

Previously I have added friends living in Ireland to my policy without issue, however, my insurance company tells me they will not insurance someone resident outside of Ireland unless they are a direct relative (sibling, parent or child).

My friend has a full EU drivers license and her own car and insurance policy in Italy with no claims or endorsements, but they say this doesn't matter they just won't allow it.

Has anyone run into this problem and do you know of any insurance companies that do allow EU drivers to be named drivers? My insurance is up for renewal so would be happy to switch if I got a better service elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about temporarily adding open drive, would that cover them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 estralla

I'm not familiar with open drive, is that where you insure the car rather than the person? I'll check with my insurance company if they offer this, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Your friend should have a word with her own insurance company. As she has a full EU licence, if she has fully comp insurance there's a good chance her own policy will cover her to drive your car.

estralla wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with open drive, is that where you insure the car rather than the person? I'll check with my insurance company if they offer this, thanks.
    Open drive is an add-on that covers all drivers with a full license and within a certain age group, for example 25-70, to drive your car. You'd need to be sure that an Italian license is acceptable.

Thanks for suggestions, will look into both of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Duiske wrote: »
    Your friend should have a word with her own insurance company. As she has a full EU licence, if she has fully comp insurance there's a good chance her own policy will cover her to drive your car.

I strongly doubt that any of continental insurance policiy would cover someone to drive other car, not even mentioning other car in Ireland. On the continent policy is on the car - not a driver.
    OP mentioned that her friend has a car and policy in Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Anan1 wrote: »
    Open drive is an add-on that covers all drivers with a full license and within a certain age group, for example 25-70, to drive your car. You'd need to be sure that an Italian license is acceptable.

AFAIK any insurance company in Europe is required by law to accept any licence issued within the EU and is not allowed to levy penalties or restrictions of any kind.
    I don't have a link for that at the moment, but as a German licence holder I once had to invoke the ombudsman when my insurance company wanted to levy 25% on my premium because my licence was "fordeign"
    Before:
    We will levy 25% on your premium because you have a heathen licence from a third world country (Germany) where people drive like it's Mad Max all over again and we know you will have a crash in five minutes and there's nothing you can do about it, ahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    After:
    Of COURSE we know that we have to treat you equally and are not allowed to fleece you in any way for it, we was only joshin', wasn't that a funny joke, here, have a lollipop.
    Cheeky gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I've had no problem doing this via AXA. My father-in-law's partner has a Swedish licence and is completely unrelated to me as far as the insurance co are concerned. I've added both of them to my policy at various times and never had any difficulty. It didn't even cost anything if it was just for a week or two for holidays, though this could have been the girls in the office being nice to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I put my brother in law (Spanish/EU licence) on my policy for a month a few years back without issue, it just cost the same as any other mid-term policy adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭W0bble5

I added my cousin's boyfriend on an Australian license last year with no problems at all.

• Advertisement

Previously I have added friends living in Ireland to my policy without issue, however, my insurance company tells me they will not insurance someone resident outside of Ireland unless they are a direct relative (sibling, parent or child).

Here's your solution:
    Of course your friend is residing in Ireland. At your address. You don't have to tell them it's only for two weeks.
    Problem? What problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hey folks, my sister is coming to visit me for 2 weeks next month. I want to add her to my insurance policy so that she can drive my car when she is here. She is a US resident and has both a US and an Irish drivers license. Should I have any problems when I call Aviva on Monday? We have the same last name. When I put my brother on the policy, they just asked for his date of birth, occupations and license number. Should I just give those deets, and keep quiet about her being a US resident? Should I even mention that I just want coverage for a month, or will that give the game away? My cousin (also with the same last name) is also on the policy. Is there a limit as to how many people can be on the policy for just one car? Thanks?

I looked into this further and there is legislation in place that drivers with a driving licence issued by another EU country have the right to be treated equally with Irish licence holders.

You can call Insurance Federation of Ireland at 01 676 1820 if you have a problem with an insurer in this regard.

I went back to my car insurance company with this information and they have now agreed to add the additional driver to my policy as a named driver for EUR 45.

I looked into this further and there is legislation in place that drivers with a driving licence issued by another EU country have the right to be treated equally with Irish licence holders.

You can call Insurance Federation of Ireland at 01 676 1820 if you have a problem with an insurer in this regard.

I went back to my car insurance company with this information and they have now agreed to add the additional driver to my policy as a named driver for EUR 45.

Result!
    I just find it a bit sad that even these days the insurances will try that sh*t on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hey folks, my sister is coming to visit me for 2 weeks next month. I want to add her to my insurance policy so that she can drive my car when she is here. She is a US resident and has both a US and an Irish drivers license. Should I have any problems when I call Aviva on Monday? We have the same last name. When I put my brother on the policy, they just asked for his date of birth, occupations and license number. Should I just give those deets, and keep quiet about her being a US resident? Should I even mention that I just want coverage for a month, or will that give the game away? My cousin (also with the same last name) is also on the policy. Is there a limit as to how many people can be on the policy for just one car? Thanks?

You shouldn't have any issues. I'm with axa and I've added an American friend (no relation) onto my policy with no hassle at all. I think it was an extra €15 or some such charge. He went on for the rest of the policy as well, I just had to give them a copy of his US license. They did still manage to spell his name wrong though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It is usually cheaper, or free to add a driver permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks. Called Aviva today and added her on at no extra cost. She's on the policy now for good. It would have cost more just to put her on for a short period of time. Mad !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Slightly off topic but if I add a friend as a named driver on my policy and they have an accident or claim in their own car will it affect my insurance?

sean1141 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but if I add a friend as a named driver on my policy and they have an accident or claim in their own car will it affect my insurance?

You mean driving their own car with their own insurance? Don't see how.

sean1141 wrote: »
    Not if you remove them from your policy, but your ins co may charge more to have a named driver with a claim on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 petercarrigy

My Grandmother is 78 and I'm 19 with my full license for 23 months now. She has open insurance and wants me to collect her new car in the UK and as I am on a seperate company insurance policy, I need to be put down as a named driver on hers. Any idea how much this will cost? Presume my age will be the biggest problem. Only need to be insured for like a week.

Advertisement