Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone selling tips?

• 29-06-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I got an upgrade from my network a few weeks ago and they kindly unlocked my old iPhone 4 for me. Well they tell me it's unlocked but apparently I have to put in a different sim and activate it in iTunes, is this normal?
    I was going to keep it as a spare and let the kids play their games and youtube and what not on it, so I could keep all that carp off my new phone. But looking at adverts it looks like it could be worth €250-300 and I can't afford to wait for the kids to break that sort of an asset so I'll likely sell it now.

What do I need to do to wipe all remnants of my data off the phone?

I'm not too keen on strangers rocking up to the house to have a nosey around on the pretense of buying a phone. I'm also aware that people would want to be mad to meet a stranger off the internet, hand him 300 quid and take his word for it that the phone will work once they get home and connect it to their computer. Do I take a further risk by bringing along my laptop to activate the phone for them? Or insist they bring theirs if they need to see the phone working?

I'm wary of non face to face sales. If somebody wants the phone posted, what's the best way to get paid? I see lots of deals by bank transfer but surely there's danger inherent in giving your bank details to Joe Bloggs off the web?

Any other advice you can offer on what I should do, or what a prospective buyer will want?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Put the word out among your family and friends, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll sell it there is always someone who wants an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I agree with Agent 99, I've sold two iphones to friends/family before, once word gets out that your selling one it generally shouldn't take too long before somebody comes in with an offer.

The benefit for them is that they know its legit and wont be blocked half an hour after you take their cash, the benefit for you is that you dont need to go through the hassle of putting it on adverts.ie/donedeal and sifting through tens of "wil u swp 4 nokia 3310 +20e plz" messages

Before you sell the phone insert it into itunes and restore as a new phone, this should wipe any residual data that you would have had on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

When I was selling my old 3GS I just posted it on facebook, asking did anyone want to buy it, within minutes my phone was hopping off it and I had loads of people on FB asking about it. It is important to stress sold as is when you are selling to someone you know as if something goes wrong and they think they can come back to you it could cause disputes and just plain annoy you.

As for wiping your data off it. Just go into settings>general>reset>erase all contents and settings. I did this and it took about 2 or 3 minutes.

Best of luck with the sale, there is a great market there, I don't think you will have a hard time selling at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

I sold my iphone 4 recently for €325 and my 3gs for €180 using Donedeal.

I put the ad up for the iphone 4 on a Sunday lunchtime and it was sold and collected by 5pm the same day. The buyer brought his phone and we put in his sim to test it was unlocked and it all worked fine.

The 3gs took a week to sell but was similarly very straightforward.

Sell now before the 5 comes out as they will devalue the 4 immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

This post has been deleted.

Wow!
    It's a 16gb 4, worth €249 to O2. What do O2 want them for? Just to keep 2nd hand supply low so people buy new with contracts? It would be a shame to send it to a bin in O2. It's just got a brand new screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Advertisement