Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobseeker's benefit/allowance for part-time work

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for info about the two above mentionned state benefits. I have been working two consecutive years full time in the same place and due to ever worsening work conditions, I am thinking of getting part-time work in my workplace (which should be feasible since they very very much want to cut all employees' hours anyhow). Besides, I will be doing a part-time, distance master degree with a UK uni so I won't have the time to be full time employed.
    So I just want to see if other people have been in the same situation and successfully got the jobseeker's benefit/allowance after applying for a reduction of working hours in their workplace?
    I am basically wondering if I would be eligible for the scheme if I am the one asking for less hours or does it have to be down to the employer to cuts down the hours?
    Also, anyone can clarify the difference between jobseeker's allowance/benefit, apart from the fact that one is means tested, the other one based on PRSI contributions?

Thanks folks, any help is welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

As you have stated you would not be available for full time work because of the course then you don't qualify for Jobseekers. You have to be available, fit for and actively seeking full time work.
    If you give up your full time work voluntarily then you are making yourself not available and will be disallowed.
    The difference between JSB and JSA is one is means tested( JSA) and the other is based on your stamps (JSB). On JSB for part time work you must have a loss of at least one days employment, this is not required for JSA.

Advertisement