Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else volunteering with DSPCA?

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I have my volunteer orientation on Saturday. I volunteered with Animal Welfare in Limerick for a while and I'm really excited about it, I've been waiting ages to get in!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

hey how did you get on with the volunteering ? How did you get involved with it? I'd love to give it a go but dunno where to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Look up any Animal shelter in your area and give them a ring! They're always on the lookout for people to help with their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

coco_lola wrote: »
    I have my volunteer orientation on Saturday. I volunteered with Animal Welfare in Limerick for a while and I'm really excited about it, I've been waiting ages to get in!

I was just wondering how you got on? did you end up doing any volunteering? if so, I would be interested to hear how it's going????

I went to the recent orientation in Rathfarnham & was due to start volunteering but broke my wrist & because of that Im only now getting to book myself in to start... really looking forward to it.
    Jasper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I worked in the DSPCA shelter for a summer, though it was a good while ago now. I cleaned stables and kennels, and fed horses, dogs and cats, as well as maintenance work and looking after the odd less common animal (like a pot-bellied pig, and some goats).

A couple of things to be aware of are that some of the dogs are likely to be sick and need to be put down, and some of the animals might be in a pretty wretched state from mistreatment. There were a couple of horses while I was there that were in horrific condition - stinking wounds and malnourished, and one collapsed under his own weight at least once.

So while it's a rewarding place to work, and sometimes interesting, you might see some crap stuff. Also you might want to avoid bonding with animals in the kennels because of the risk that they'll be sick and need to be put down.

Best of luck with it; hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I worked in the DSPCA shelter for a summer, though it was a good while ago now. I cleaned stables and kennels, and fed horses, dogs and cats, as well as maintenance work and looking after the odd less common animal (like a pot-bellied pig, and some goats).

A couple of things to be aware of are that some of the dogs are likely to be sick and need to be put down, and some of the animals might be in a pretty wretched state from mistreatment. There were a couple of horses while I was there that were in horrific condition - stinking wounds and malnourished, and one collapsed under his own weight at least once.

So while it's a rewarding place to work, and sometimes interesting, you might see some crap stuff. Also you might want to avoid bonding with animals in the kennels because of the risk that they'll be sick and need to be put down.

Best of luck with it; hope you enjoy it.

Must have been tough for you and all the folks who worked and volunteered there. But places like these require need more help than some others in terms of volunteers. Kudos to you for helping there. Hope more people help out there and I sure it will be a dulfilling place to volunteer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

A friend of mine works in an animal shelter. She gets very emotional about the bad cases she sees. My advice to anyone thinking of doing this kind of work is just to prepare yourself for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

went along on my first day & got on great, lovely bunch of people all very friendly & helpful, going back each week or so in the hope that I can help keep a young or not so young dog happy whilst s/he waits for their 'forever' home... :D:D:D

Advertisement