Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for rent supplement

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering what documents do I have to supply for rent supplement and will photocopys suffice?

Thanx in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 karen234

I'm not sure.I always send in the originals and just include a note asking them to send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

lexluther wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering what documents do I have to supply for rent supplement and will photocopys suffice?

Thanx in advance.

If you are presenting the documents at a meeting with CWO at the office then have the originals. They will make copies during the meeting and hand originals back to you. If you are posting the required documents (listed below) send copies only.

How to apply

To apply, fill in an application form for Rent Supplement (pdf). Part of the form will need to be filled in by your landlord or their agent. Your landlord will need to provide their tax reference number (normally their PPS number) to the Department of Social Protection (DSP). If your landlord does not wish to fill in the form a separate form (SWA 3C) is available. If your landlord does not have a tax reference number, they should state this in writing to the DSP and explain why this is the case. Your Rent Supplement may not be paid if your landlord has not given their tax number to the DSP or has not explained why they do not have one.

Another part of the form may need to be filled in by your local authority, to confirm you are on their housing list and have a housing need (if you are not exempt from this rule).

You also need to fill in a separate Supplementary Welfare Allowance application form (pdf). This form is used to gather extra details relevant to your application for Rent Supplement. The Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) or local Citizens Information Service can help you fill in these forms.

You also need to bring the following documents:

Identity documents for you and your dependents, such as full Birth Certificates, passports, driving license, work permit, immigration (GNIB) card, etc.
    Documents to show your income and financial situation, such as, pay slips, P45, P35, P60, bank statements, etc.
    Documents to prove where you live, such as electricity, gas or phone bills, etc.
    Documents relating to your tenancy, such as your rent book, lease or tenancy agreement.
    The Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) usually visits you to confirm your circumstances.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lexluther

Thanks guys for your replys. As far as I know I'm to send the application by post to a central rent unit. I had passports lost in the post before so I would prefer to post copies with my application.

Thanks again guys.

Advertisement