Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is metzitzah b’peh legal in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

upsetting Jewish practice

Upsetting how? It's completely non-sexual, being just a traditional way of staunching a wound.
    I think it's something that needs to be banned if it's not. I/nyc_health_commissioner_condemns_metzitzah_bpeh_20120607/[/url]

Why? Health risks, or some sort of argument that it's sexual abuse? Health risks aside, this shouldn't be lumped into a "villagers with pichforks" type kneejerk.

It may seem weird, but it's literally just licking [your] wounds.

On legality, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It is part of the barbaric practice of male infant genital mutilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It is part of the barbaric practice of male infant genital mutilation.

Yea I know that but it seem legal. Should it not be banned or we could end up in a situation in 20 years that the young Jews in the country are suing the State for not protecting them.
    Seem strange we would allow this after everything that's happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

It is just another form of circumcision... how "barbaric" it is is simply down to OP's own upbringing and personal subjective sensitivities- far less bloody or painful than your run-of-the-mill animal slaughterhouse.

However, due to the health implications/risks associated with it (ie not just because it's "barbaric"), it probably should be outlawed, since it is not uncommon for newly-born infants to die in the aftermath of contracting herpes from oral-genital contact with the rabbi.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feck. Just when I thought religion couldn't get any weirder, it went and got weirder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

LazyFecker wrote: »
    It is just another form of circumcision

No need for sucking of blood, That's just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Religion or not, thats plain nasty, of course people shouldnt be allowed do that to children, I dont think they would let a rabbi do it to them when they are 18 years plus....why a child.....gruesome stuff!

Advertisement