Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Samsung D5000 TV MHEG-5 capable?

Options
  • 28-06-2012 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I've got a 37" Samsung D5000 LED TV (UE37D5000) and I'm receiving all Saorview channels via an aerial without problems, except that I cannot get digital teletext services on RTÉ2. Subtitles are instead displayed if available, else 'P100' is displayed on the top-left corner. Regular analog-style teletext is available on other channels. I understand that MHEG-5 is required to receive digital teletext and that this capability is a requirement for Saorview approval (see here). I also believe that EPG facilities do not rely on MHEG-5, and the TV's EPG works well. I purchased the TV because it was advertised as Saorview approved in the shop and it's also listed on the Saorview web site (here). 

After one phone call and four emails to Samsung, they eventually stated that the D5000 is not MHEG-5 capable!:confused:
    However, I have found their customer service personnel to be technically incompetent in the extreme, and I'm not too sure what to believe from them at this stage.

I'd be grateful for clarifications or confirmations on the MHEG-5 capability of this TV either way please, and on whether anyone who has this model can access digital teletext via Saorview (as opposed to BBC red button).

Thanks,
    John.

Advertisement