Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant, co habiting

Options
  • 27-06-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am pregnant, just moved in with my boyfriend a few days. I am currently seeking Job Seekers allowance. I have to go to the local social welfare office to transfer my claim and explain my change in situation. I was just wondering, my boyfriend wants to take a year off work unpaid after I have the baby. Will he be entitled to any dole money or benefits at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

He may be, but you will always get less for both of you when you live together. The max for an adult and a dependant is €188 + €124, so €312.

This is because you are getting a means tested payment.

If he is now working, and you move in with him, you might get a greatly reduced payment based on his earnings. Also, thye may cut you off completely while they do a means test on the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must:

Be unemployed
    Be over 18 and under 66 years of age
    Be capable of work
    Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    Satisfy the means test
    Meet the Habitual Residence Condition

To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit you must:

Be unemployed (you must be fully unemployed or unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6)
    Be under 66 years of age
    Have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions
    Be capable of work
    Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    Have had a substantial loss of employment and as a result be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6.

Advertisement