Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Dwarf Hamster

Options
  • 27-06-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have a Russian dwarf (Google ^.^) and she's just shy of 6 months old. She has a habit of weeing in her tunnel, as it has holes in it it goes through and onto the unit. In the past week I've noticed that the color seems off. Its a dark yellow/almost brown color, usually it is light yellow in color.

Google herself seems fine. She is acting her usual way, is just a friendly, doesn't seem to be in pain, isn't eating or drinking any more or less than usual and is running around like her usual happy self. I haven't changed her food since I got her so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

I'm a little worried, but I would like to know if anyone else has had experiences like this with their dwarf russians, and if so is it normal or should I be worried?

I've thought about taking her to the vet, but I would like some advice before I fork out 70Euro in bills for her (more if she needs medication).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Angel8ie

Is she drinking less water?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Angel8ie wrote: »
    Is she drinking less water?

No. She's drinking the same as she would usually. Everything else about her seems normal except the color of her wee.

Because if she is, even if it's just a bit, she could just be a tiny bit dehydrated. I would await a couple of days and if she's still acting normal then I wouldn't worry too much. I've heard that carrots can make their pee darker aswell so if you're giving that as a treat then maybe swap it for something else and see if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Angel8ie wrote: »
    Because if she is, even if it's just a bit, she could just be a tiny bit dehydrated. I would await a couple of days and if she's still acting normal then I wouldn't worry too much. I've heard that carrots can make their pee darker aswell so if you're giving that as a treat then maybe swap it for something else and see if that makes a difference

I only really give her fresh lettuce, or these colorful rock like treats (Can't remember what they're called). It's been going on for about a week but nothing in her diet is changed. I'm at a loss to what could be causing it.

Hmm... It's a strange one. Like I was saying, I'd give her a couple of days and see how she is then. I have a rabbit and if I notice something strange, that's what I do. I've only ended up having to bring him to the vet once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I find with small animals if they are eating,drinking and moving around as normal then you usually dont have anything to fear.

If they are drinking less, eating less, less active then its time to keep a close eye on them and if no change to the vet .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

It probably won't be very expensive to bring her to the vet either, my vet charges me about 12 euro to treat my mice.

I think it was about 40 to bring my rabbit. So if she doesn't improve, I wouldn't hold off on the vet, but give them a call to see what they'd charge!

Anyway, if her coat isn't ruffled or rough looking, and she's eating and acting normally, then it may just be the warm weather dehydrating her a bit - it's usually harder on smaller animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

if at all worried i wouldnt be waiting a few days. i would be getting her to vets asap. with something as small as a hamster she could go down hill very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i have a male winter white russian called chuck :)

seriously get her to a vet if its still the same in the next few days dwarf hamster can get diabetes :( its bad enough for me as a person cant imagine a poor hamster putting up with it :(

Advertisement