Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3gs problem - won't turn on.

Options
  • 27-06-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I've an iPhone 3gs 16gb and last night the battery was going dead. I plugged it into a wall socket to charge it. After about an hour I checked on it and it had died and was not charging. I left it a little longer hoping it would start charging. I checked the charger with my iPod and it charged that, so it's not the charger that it broken.

Today I connected it to my laptop and it won't show up in iTunes, again still not charging. The screen is completely black, not even the little apple symbol comes up. I've tried holding down the lock button, and home button and both together. I've always tried holding down both then connecting to iTunes (as suggesting on the apply site) but nothing seems to be working.

I've also tried using a different charger, but still no results.

I'd hate the phone to be broken as it is only a little over a year old. I've done a search on boards already, but none of the advice given seems to be working/suited to the problem.

I'm at a loss of what else I can try and what to do now. The phone is also locked to the O2 network, if that makes any difference?

Any ideas on what could of caused the problem and how to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Have you tried the following steps:

1. Press and Hold the Screen Lock button (at the top of the phone).
    2. While holding that button, press and hold the Home Button (Keep holding both buttons).

Now the difficult bit.
    3. While still holding both the Screen Lock and Home buttons, press and hold the Volume Up button.

If you keep this combination pressed for some time (10-30 secs) the phone may hard reboot and come back to life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Have you recently upgraded your software? new features can sometimes drain the battery very quick.If it is a hardware issue I would guess faulty battery or dock connector which shouldn't be the case as it is only a year old,either way they are both relatively cheap and easy to replace,if you decide to go to a repair shop make sure you are 100% sure they are legitimate because there's a lot of "horror" stories about them fixing one thing and another part is broken,etc.I would recommend to replace the parts yourself if they are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

2. While holding that button, press and hold the Home Button (Keep holding both buttons).

Now the difficult bit.
    3. While still holding both the Screen Lock and Home buttons, press and hold the Volume Up button.

If you keep this combination pressed for some time (10-30 secs) the phone may hard reboot and come back to life again.

I've tried that a few times now, and still not turning on :/

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Recoil12 wrote: »
    Have you recently upgraded your software? new features can sometimes drain the battery very quick.If it is a hardware issue I would guess faulty battery or dock connector which shouldn't be the case as it is only a year old,either way they are both relatively cheap and easy to replace,if you decide to go to a repair shop make sure you are 100% sure they are legitimate because there's a lot of "horror" stories about them fixing one thing and another part is broken,etc.I would recommend to replace the parts yourself if they are the problem.

No, there's been no upgrades. Would you recommend any repair shops to go to? I'm in Dublin, so any place within the city center would be great. Or in the Clondalkin/Tallaght area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Now the difficult bit.

Where are you pulling that from? Holding the volume up button does absolutely nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

guil wrote: »
    Where are you pulling that from? Holding the volume up button does absolutely nothing
    It was a solution that I found here that worked in the past for me for a White Screen of Death (i.e. the screen is completely blank and unresponsive) and no other options worked. The same solution worked on my Parents iPad recently, where the screen had become unresponsive.

So I figured it worthwhile to share some knowledge that had been useful on a number of occasions. Maybe it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

IMO its just coincidence that you pressed the vol up button. Holding the he and sleep button reboots the phone though

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

I haven't used any repair shops around you but iRepair.ie looks okay,they are in Portmarnock so 30 mins from you.Maybe others could suggest someone in your area that they have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I had the same problem with an iPhone 4 turn out to be the dock was feck.
    Rang lucanirepair sorted it out for me.

Advertisement