Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about my Bangernomics car.

Options
  • 27-06-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

One of the neighbours reversed out and hit my bangernomics car a couple of weeks ago. Luckily the damage was confined to one of the doors and is not too bad. I got an estimate to repair it but it looks like she wants to go through her insurance to sort it. In that case I'm inclined to get the job done properly which would probably cost at least twice as much (new door, etc.)

The thing is, that would nearly be the same as it cost me to buy the car, so I was thinking if things did go down that road, would I be better taking the money and just selling the car as is as I'd probably come out with more than if I repaired the car and then sold it on. The other thing to consider is that the insurance company might prefer to write the car off than repair it, so where would that leave me when I try to sell? (I'm not sure if there are different categories of write-off here like there are in the UK). Then again, am I being a b@stard for hitting her with a bigger bill if she goes the insurance route?

Advice/thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

I'm only guessing here but I'd imagine they can't decide to write your car off, they can only write off the car that's insured. They have to cover the damage to your car. It'd be a completely unfair situation of they could write your car off for damage by their insured person. If that was the case then you could claim all kinds of expenses in getting a new car.

i could be very wrong here but that would seem the most logical thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You have not entered into a contract of insurance with them so they have no power over your car. They can offer to have it repaired but you should always have the ability to demand a cash payment and then it is your choice what you wish to do - you have no obligation to repair the car. In respect of the car of the insured, the insurance company has a lot more effective options with respect to repair or write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Basically OP, They can offer you what it would cost to repair your car or what it would cost to replace your car. If they pay you the value of your car then they own the car and can do whatever they want with it.

If it's a sh1tbox and only worth something to you then you can get the value of the vehicle and potentially strike a deal where you keep it for a few bob and have it repaired privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what was the quote you got for getting the work done OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

well, S-Class merc from 1997 will also cost under 1k but it doesn't classify as shi1tbox. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

pcardin wrote: »
    well, S-Class merc from 1997 will also cost under 1k but it doesn't classify as shi1tbox. :confused:

Come again?
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

what sort of car is it? Bangernomic could mean anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

It's a 98 Civic, body is a little tired but it runs fine and only passed the NCT a couple of months ago. I was quoted €400 to get the door repaired, that was the price if the money was coming out of her own pocket as I could live with the repair. If it's going through insurance, though, I figure I might as well get it done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Personally (now that I know what car you have) I'd be having a word with the neighbour. Telling her to save herself the future raised premiums and just give you €200. If she has any up-front excess to be paid then it'll probably save her very little in the long run. €300 excess is very common at this stage so she'd be claiming on her insurance to save €100. Then head to a scrapyard and pick up a new door for €50, and pocket the rest so that your bangernomic is standing you even less. ;)

I've a '97 Skoda bangernomic at the moment and thats what I would do - though if the window & door lock still worked I might not even bother replacing the door. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

blastman wrote: »
    It's a 98 Civic, body is a little tired but it runs fine and only passed the NCT a couple of months ago. I was quoted €400 to get the door repaired, that was the price if the money was coming out of her own pocket as I could live with the repair. If it's going through insurance, though, I figure I might as well get it done properly.

Offenders insurance is going to ask you for at least one quote anyway or even to drop the car in one of their approved garage.
    But because it only is 400 euro in damage, I suspect they are just gonna pay up without asking too many questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Yeah, but the price to the insurance company is going to be more than €400 :)

Top Dog, that's what I was thinking, the door still works perfectly so in theory I needn't bother repairing it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pcardin wrote: »

blastman wrote: »
    It's a 98 Civic, body is a little tired but it runs fine

:)

Advertisement