Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts and cheap booze

Options
  • 27-06-2012 12:52pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭


    I can see this would be a fairly unpopular suggestion, or at least will attract a lot of noisy reaction from those who oppose this, but I have to ask because I truly believe the time has come to do this.

    Since we are more aware and conscious today than we were ever about the damage and stress caused by alcohol abuse, and related social issues - would it not be a good idea to discourage cheap booze threads on Bargain Alerts?

    Thanks for reading! If you agree, please support - as I am sure those who disagree would be quick to react. Thanks again!
    Post edited by Shield on


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo


    And to think, people actually want to get rid of this little fella ===>:rolleyes:


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich


    Well I think it's odd seeing them posted, only because I don't really consider them to be bargins that stand out. You are always going to find promotions if you shop around.

    But that opinion is subjective on my part.

    Otherwise, I don't see why not. Drink is not as perisihable as other consumable products. And taken such in consideration, sometimes these promotions can benefit people who'd drink over a long period.

    I myself tend to buy Whiskey and Rum in bulk, doesn't mean I'm going to go on a big bender over the coming days though. I'd just rather not have to pop out everytime I wanted something to drink. I recon there's many others here who think likewise.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus


    Boards does not have a social responsibility to discourage adults from partaking in things which are perfectly legal.

    By the same logic we should avoid having boards deals for restaurants because obesity and heart disease are such major social problems.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel


    positron wrote: »
    Since we are more aware and conscious today than we were ever about the damage and stress caused by alcohol abuse, and related social issues - would it not be a good idea to discourage cheap booze threads on Bargain Alerts?

    No, it wouldn't be a good idea.
    Should we stop suggesting certain cheap foods because they might assist you putting on weight if you eat too much?

    We're not Nannies.
    If someone doesn't know how to be responsible for themselves and their behaviour, that's their problem and they should get themselves help.


    /edit
    ffs seamus.
    Get out of my head!


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake


    that's an awful idea


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid


    positron wrote: »

    Since we are more aware and conscious today than we were ever about the damage and stress caused by alcohol abuse, and related social issues - would it not be a good idea to discourage cheap booze threads on Bargain Alerts?


    No.

    Leave us our cheap drink alerts. We are all adults.

    But while we are on the subject, I wouldn't mind a ban on the Beer Nazis who post within minutes saying "Heineken? As If! No way would I drink that! I will stick to Hoggel Pissen, a steal at only €20 for 3 500 ml bottles .." or whatever.

    They annoy me so much, I need a drink to calm down afterwards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron


    seamus wrote: »
    Boards does not have a social responsibility to discourage adults from partaking in things which are perfectly legal.

    By the same logic we should avoid having boards deals for restaurants because obesity and heart disease are such major social problems.

    True, but how about the moral responsibility? For instance, isn't the policy of "attack the post, not the poster" a way of showing that responsibility of giving everyone a chance to express their opinion?

    I don't think you can compare effects of cheap booze to cheap food / restaurant reviews. Compare it to say cheep smoke perhaps - speaking of which, why are there no threads about cigarette bargain alerts?

    Right, let me try to support my argument with another point. Drugs and alcohol sales are regulated and is limited to 18 years or above. Boards users could be 13 or above, if I remember correctly. Bargain Alerts, and all the appreciative banter from bargain hunters as soon as alcohol deals appear on Bargain Alerts, is entirely available to younger boards users. I know that is not a crime in itself - and this argument isn't that strong when you see 2 year olds weaning Carling or Guinness jerseys etc, and leaflets come in the door daily promoting various drinks, but...

    ...but surely we have some responsibility to give up a little bit of what we are used to (booze threads in BA) to the tiny possibility that some child would be fed and looked after that particular weekend, some infant will get fed and washed on time etc? Is it such an outlandish idea?


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler


    positron wrote: »
    True, but how about the moral responsibility? For instance, isn't the policy of "attack the post, not the poster" a way of showing that responsibility of giving everyone a chance to express their opinion?

    I don't think you can compare effects of cheap booze to cheap food / restaurant reviews. Compare it to say cheep smoke perhaps - speaking of which, why are there no threads about cigarette bargain alerts?

    Right, let me try to support my argument with another point. Drugs and alcohol sales are regulated and is limited to 18 years or above. Boards users could be 13 or above, if I remember correctly. Bargain Alerts, and all the appreciative banter from bargain hunters as soon as alcohol deals appear on Bargain Alerts, is entirely available to younger boards users. I know that is not a crime in itself - and this argument isn't that strong when you see 2 year olds weaning Carling or Guinness jerseys etc, and leaflets come in the door daily promoting various drinks, but...

    ...but surely we have some responsibility to give up a little bit of what we are used to (booze threads in BA) to the tiny possibility that some child would be fed and looked after that particular weekend, some infant will get fed and washed on time etc? Is it such an outlandish idea?

    Boards has no responsibility to what kids read here, noone is gonna offer to buy booze for children on the forums. And that's as far as it needs to go, informing people that there is cheap beer is not a moral issue.

    I get that you don't like drink, so just avoid those threads.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin


    I might agree with you if there were Bargain Alerts for two bags of smack for the price of one at the bottom of Talbot Street but booze? Hell no! :D


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich


    positron wrote: »
    True, but how about the moral responsibility? For instance, isn't the policy of "attack the post, not the poster" a way of showing that responsibility of giving everyone a chance to express their opinion?

    I don't think you can compare effects of cheap booze to cheap food / restaurant reviews. Compare it to say cheep smoke perhaps - speaking of which, why are there no threads about cigarette bargain alerts?

    Right, let me try to support my argument with another point. Drugs and alcohol sales are regulated and is limited to 18 years or above. Boards users could be 13 or above, if I remember correctly. Bargain Alerts, and all the appreciative banter from bargain hunters as soon as alcohol deals appear on Bargain Alerts, is entirely available to younger boards users. I know that is not a crime in itself - and this argument isn't that strong when you see 2 year olds weaning Carling or Guinness jerseys etc, and leaflets come in the door daily promoting various drinks, but...

    ...but surely we have some responsibility to give up a little bit of what we are used to (booze threads in BA) to the tiny possibility that some child would be fed and looked after that particular weekend, some infant will get fed and washed on time etc? Is it such an outlandish idea?

    Because the pricing of such is heavily regulated by the government, so much so it's not worthwhile for stores to promote as loss leaders.

    Where as with booze, Supermarkets can also make up sales in snacks / dinner party food stuffs or even bring in someone to do a weekly shop that wouldn't of headed in otherwise.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs


    positron wrote: »
    I can see this would be a fairly unpopular suggestion, or at least will attract a lot of noisy reaction from those who oppose this, but I have to ask because I truly believe the time has come to do this.

    Since we are more aware and conscious today than we were ever about the damage and stress caused by alcohol abuse, and related social issues - would it not be a good idea to discourage cheap booze threads on Bargain Alerts?

    Thanks for reading! If you agree, please support - as I am sure those who disagree would be quick to react. Thanks again!

    Are you actually Sean Sherlock OP?


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus


    positron wrote: »
    True, but how about the moral responsibility? For instance, isn't the policy of "attack the post, not the poster" a way of showing that responsibility of giving everyone a chance to express their opinion?
    Not really. That policy exists because allowing people to be assholes makes the site unusable. It's not there because of some perceived responsibility to allow everyone to air their opinion. The site in fact doesn't allow everyone to air their opinion, there are some opinions which aren't allowed.
    I don't think you can compare effects of cheap booze to cheap food / restaurant reviews. Compare it to say cheep smoke perhaps - speaking of which, why are there no threads about cigarette bargain alerts?
    Because the sale of tobacco products is tightly regulated in this country. It's illegal to sell tobacco products on sale or below a certain price. It's also illegal to import them from another EU country. So there are no cigarette deals on BA because there is no such thing as cigarette deals in this country.
    ...but surely we have some responsibility to give up a little bit of what we are used to (booze threads in BA) to the tiny possibility that some child would be fed and looked after that particular weekend, some infant will get fed and washed on time etc? Is it such an outlandish idea?
    You're trolling now, right? You think that if someone is such a deplorable parent that they would buy booze above their child's welfare, that boards.ie is responsible for them doing so?
    If some scumbag places their booze above their child, then they will drink regardless of what boards does.

    Theoretically boards.ie Bargain Alerts will help them save money on their booze habit, increasing the odds that a child will be fed and washed this weekend because the parent has money left over.


Advertisement