Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotherapy for giving up drink

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Anyone done it? I'm considering it. I'm weak willed so cutting back/out won't work for me as I know I'll give in. I need a kick start to get me going. I'm just a bit worried that I'll resist the hypnotherapy as I'm a very sceptical person and I'm not sure that I believe it will work! :o

Has anyone ever had this done and if so could you pm me some recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Didn't do it for drink but did it for cigarette smoking and was unimpressed, left it after one session as I saw no benefit. Gave them up eventually with gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Anyone done it? I'm considering it. I'm weak willed so cutting back/out won't work for me as I know I'll give in. I need a kick start to get me going. I'm just a bit worried that I'll resist the hypnotherapy as I'm a very sceptical person and I'm not sure that I believe it will work! :o

Has anyone ever had this done and if so could you pm me some recommendations?

Give it a go and report the results,id imagine it wouldnt work but im no expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Jeez, thanks guys :rolleyes: Anyone any helpful suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hypnosis is a "strange animal" so to speak. Some people are highly susceptible to some things and not so much to others.What I have read is that it is not a "presto..you are cured" type of thing. It does take some work, Although I have heard of fears and phobias getting completely taken care of, Addiction issues are a little tougher to get rid of in most cases. I think alcohol addiction has to be attacked on a couple of different levels. Not only do you have to fix the subconscious mind, You have would imo still have to use the other tools in helping you with your alcohol problem,Especially in what your going to do in your now new spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Good luck with this, as regards drinking it is a bit tricker as it is socially acceptable where as smoking is not. Whether you use hypnosis or any other method the key is to find someone you can work with and who can help you deal with the cause of why you do what you.

If for example you are drinking to escape from something or avoid dealing with some aspect of your life, then it's key to deal with those issues rather than bury them down with some other distractions such as gambling or overeating. These distractions do make not you feel better, they are avoidance of uncomfortable feelings or thoughts. Deal with the cause and the symptoms fall away, this doesn't happen overnight but I know in myself, this is true.Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Im not a very suggestive person,but did the hypnotherapy thing,said id go in with an open mind,and took it from there,and it really worked on me.

I was in hypnotherapy for weight loss,and he made suggestions when i was in the hypnotic state,that i would feel full after the third square meal,and would feel full,and if i ate anymore i would feel sick,and would feel sick at the thought of piling on extra portions or having a second late night supper..

Months later and the stones rolled off me ,it really worked,i think it depends on your attitude going in there,if you have a closed mind to it,or keep set with your preconcieved notions you wont have a chance of letting it change you..

Advertisement