Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Clontarf CC and rain.

Options
  • 27-06-2012 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I am going to my very first cricket match on thursday 5th july in Clontarf and really looking forward to it.
    I am thinking what happens if it rains, its not the money its what to do for say a couple of hours. Can you purchase food there, is there a bar open, or do we have to sit in the seats all day. Any information would be great, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

B1gft wrote: »
    I am going to my very first cricket match on thursday 5th july in Clontarf and really looking forward to it.
    I am thinking what happens if it rains, its not the money its what to do for say a couple of hours. Can you purchase food there, is there a bar open, or do we have to sit in the seats all day. Any information would be great, thanks

There are bars, and food outlets, but there's little or no shelter if it rains. I'd advise bringing umbrellas and rain gear. The main pavilion may or may not be accessible during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

With regards to the weather, some sites are saying light showers whilst another couple sites I found are predicting a glorious sunny day :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Bars and food outlets will be open. Pavillion will be closed to pavillion ticket holders only - it usually is at these games anyway. There is no shelter - we got absolutely washed out last year so take rain jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Thanks for the info. Has the food and drink outlets not got cover.

Thanks for the info. Has the food and drink outlets not got cover.

Nope - they are usually just vans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A few years ago, at a game v the West Indies, I ended up in the Groundsman's shed trying to shelter from a total cloudburst. There was about 80 of us in there, all perched on rollers and trying to stay out of the way of the spray through the open door.

TrueDub wrote: »
    A few years ago, at a game v the West Indies, I ended up in the Groundsman's shed trying to shelter from a total cloudburst. There was about 80 of us in there, all perched on rollers and trying to stay out of the way of the spray through the open door.

Its my very first cricket match to go to, where I have been a supporter for a few years I have not even seen a cricket match live, club or country, so I could be speaking out of turn here. What ever about the match I am going to see Irl V Afghanistan, I can not understand why there was not better facilities when Irl played West In. Cricket is the one game where they do not play when it rains, how come they do not cover for this, ie put up a tent ( wrong word but you know what I mean) for the supporters to go into, if it rains. It slightly feels like its not professional.

Its my very first cricket match to go to, where I have been a supporter for a few years I have not even seen a cricket match live, club or country, so I could be speaking out of turn here. What ever about the match I am going to see Irl V Afghanistan, I can not understand why there was not better facilities when Irl played West In. Cricket is the one game where they do not play when it rains, how come they do not cover for this, ie put up a tent ( wrong word but you know what I mean) for the supporters to go into, if it rains. It slightly feels like its not professional.

It'd be a big tent for roughly 3000 people. This is just a part of the game, it's the risk you take watching cricket in Ireland.

Any cricket lover knows the rain is a risk, but the small crowds Ireland get at the matches, I am just saying, maybe something could be organised, if not for all the crowed, well maybe for some. Landing up in the groundsman's shed, I could understand it at a club game, but international?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In fairness you run the risk of getting wet at a Premier League football match, so its asking a lot of Clontarf CC to be able to provide cover for an entire crowd of people! They do an absolutely wonderful job of hosting Ireland games and the place is generally magnificant, but expecting them to provide covered stands or whatever is above and beyond what Id expect from them!

• Advertisement

Any cricket lover knows the rain is a risk, but the small crowds Ireland get at the matches, I am just saying, maybe something could be organised, if not for all the crowed, well maybe for some. Landing up in the groundsman's shed, I could understand it at a club game, but international?

Go to Lord's or the MCG, you'll get wet if it rains. Part of the game. I only got into the shed because I was friends with the groundsman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

The good news is that this is a qualification ODI for the next World Cup so there are a supplementary day on Wednesday for the Tuesday game and Friday for the Thursday game. If it gets rained off on the original day, the match can take place on the following day - this wasn't the case for the Australian Match.

I was at the club yesterday and there is no seating being put up as there was for the England game last year and Australia the year before. Seemingly it will be benches and the grass! Obviously its not as big an event so Im not sure how many food vans there will be this time. They usually put up a couple of bars too but not sure if they are - may just be a van too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Dovies wrote: »
    I was at the club yesterday and there is no seating being put up as there was for the England game last year and Australia the year before. Seemingly it will be benches and the grass! Obviously its not as big an event so Im not sure how many food vans there will be this time. They usually put up a couple of bars too but not sure if they are - may just be a van too.

Thats a bit odd. Ive been to a few C&G Cup games in Clontarf in the past where there have been no stands erected and it was grand, but they were relatively small crowds where the benches and some chairs were enough to accommodate those who were there. I would have thought there would be a bigger turnout for the Afghanistan game, but maybe Im wrong.

djimi wrote: »
    Thats a bit odd. Ive been to a few C&G Cup games in Clontarf in the past where there have been no stands erected and it was grand, but they were relatively small crowds where the benches and some chairs were enough to accommodate those who were there. I would have thought there would be a bigger turnout for the Afghanistan game, but maybe Im wrong.

I'm not surprised - I've been to see the Afghans there a couple of time and there's usually a reasonable crowd but not huge. The seating operation is an enormous one and it's usually only done for full members games.

Personally, I prefer Tarf without the seating, it's a more intimate feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Saturday's RSA Leinster Senior Cup semi-final game Clontarf v Railway Union is off.

Advertisement