Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTR & National Insurance Number

Options
  • 27-06-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering how fast I can get a utr number? Being offered work in UK and need to get it asap. Can I get a National insurance number in Northern Ireland or do I have to wait to get over there. How long will it take you think to get each of these numbers? Thanks folks, will highly appreciate any feedback:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

kay 9 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering how fast I can get a utr number? Being offered work in UK and need to get it asap. Can I get a National insurance number in Northern Ireland or do I have to wait to get over there. How long will it take you think to get each of these numbers? Thanks folks, will highly appreciate any feedback:)

to get an NI number you will need to attend a designated DWP office, you'll have an interview to confirm your identity, and a number will be issued. it may be issued there and then (the application form - a CA5400 - for an NI number corresponds to a specific NI number), but it may take up to 10 weeks for an NI card to be issued. you do not need an NI number or card to work in the UK. A UTR is a Unique Tax Reference number. it it is created for you by HMRC with no imput from you required. again, you do not need a UTR to start work in the UK.

if you are having to deal with a moronic employer who doesn't know this - and every employer is told this by HMRC - a visit to an HMRC inquiry centre may help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There is also a fast track scheme which some employers who hire a lot of foreigners use. It just requires a form from HR and a copy of your passport or something. Means you don't have to go for an interview. Worth checking with your future HR person about this.

Otherwise for the appointment, they can only set one up AFTER you arrive in the UK for some nonsense beurocratic reason. So my advice would be to ring them via Skype with an address in the UK and a contact number there too. Arrange ye meeting for soon after you land and before work starts.

More difficult however is getting a bank account. That's a royal pain in the ass. Try get a letter from your employer or else a tenancy agreement, with a note on the letting agents headed paper.

Its a bit of hassle the first month, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

enda1 wrote: »
    More difficult however is getting a bank account. That's a royal pain in the ass. Try get a letter from your employer or else a tenancy agreement, with a note on the letting agents headed paper.

Its a bit of hassle the first month, good luck!

Isn't there one or two banks that'll set up an account with just a passport, I remember reading it somewhere a few weeks ago?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks for the help folks, called them today and they said I can work for up to 3 months without an NI no. so long as I have an application in to get said NIN. Biggest pain will probably be taking breaks from work to get this sorted and paying the higher tax for the first few weeks/months. Is the higher rate of tax reimbursable when i get the NI number? Thanks again for all your help:) Really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

kay 9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help folks, called them today and they said I can work for up to 3 months without an NI no. so long as I have an application in to get said NIN. Biggest pain will probably be taking breaks from work to get this sorted and paying the higher tax for the first few weeks/months. Is the higher rate of tax reimbursable when i get the NI number? Thanks again for all your help:) Really appreciate it.

Yeah, you can get a refund for any excess tax you pay as emergency tax once your NI comes through. Best thing to do is ring up to make your appointment and explain that you need to get it done ASAP - might be lucky and get a cancellation or something. If your workplace are understanding about getting to the interview during the day it shouldn't take too long to get things sorted.

Advertisement