Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for third level maths

Options
  • 21-06-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I've just finished the L.C. and although I am studying maths in university next year, I'd really like to continue practicing maths during the summer. My question is, where do I go from here? Which topics in mathematics follow in difficulty from the leaving cert? To narrow it down I'm particularly interested in algebra, calculus and integration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

hen93 wrote: »
    Hi, I've just finished the L.C. and although I am studying maths in university next year, I'd really like to continue practicing maths during the summer. My question is, where do I go from here? Which topics in mathematics follow in difficulty from the leaving cert? To narrow it down I'm particularly interested in algebra, calculus and integration.

Most first year college maths courses have a lot of calculus in first year and perhaps some sort of stats course. If you can get your hands on any introductory undergraduate calculus book you can start reading that. They are all more or less the same. PM me if you are near Maynooth and I can give you one (for free). What maths courses have you applied to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hen93

TheBody wrote: »
    Most first year college maths courses have a lot of calculus in first year and perhaps some sort of stats course. If you can get your hands on any introductory undergraduate calculus book you can start reading that. They are all more or less the same. PM me if you are near Maynooth and I can give you one (for free). What maths courses have you applied to?

Ok great, thanks a million for your help but I'm not situated near maynooth, I'm sure I can some pdfs online of undergrad books anyway but thanks again. I have mathematical science in nuig and ul down, aswell as theoretical physics and mathematics in Maynooth actually, but it is not a high preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

hen93 wrote: »
    Ok great, thanks a million for your help but I'm not situated near maynooth, I'm sure I can some pdfs online of undergrad books anyway but thanks again. I have mathematical science in nuig and ul down, aswell as theoretical physics and mathematics in Maynooth actually, but it is not a high preference.

Ah your missing out if you don't go to Maynooth!! :D Good luck where ever you end up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hen93

TheBody wrote: »
    Ah your missing out if you don't go to Maynooth!! :D Good luck where ever you end up!!
    Haha I was down for the open day and it has a great atmosphere alright but the commute home at the weekends is too much :P Cheers!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Made this into a new thread to avoid cluttering up the Good maths Books/Textbooks sticky too much. If we get any specific suggestions here they can be added to that said thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I would put linear algebra on top of your list. iTunes has a full course on it: MIT Linear Algebra Gilbert Strang, he has a book that is freely available on line in PDF format. You will NOT go wrong if you throw some time at that as matrices will pop up all over the place in your future study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hey,
    Have a look here for anything on basic ( or whatever suits you ) Linear Alg, Algebra, Calculus.
    http://www.khanacademy.org/

Its a fine tool to getting the basics.

Advertisement