Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feis Ceoil 2013??

Options
  • 26-06-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever participated in the feis ceoil? I play piano and currently on Senior Cert RIAM so would this be a good performance oppurtunity for me? Classical music is all I play. I have already been on the website and it's a bit hard to find what music that I would have to play.

I'm thinking of playing in it next year, where do I perform when I do play?

If anyone has any experiences with the feis ceoil and anyone who has played in it on piano please tell me your experiences! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Has anyone ever participated in the feis ceoil? I play piano and currently on Senior Cert RIAM so would this be a good performance oppurtunity for me? Classical music is all I play. I have already been on the website and it's a bit hard to find what music that I would have to play.

I'm thinking of playing in it next year, where do I perform when I do play?

If anyone has any experiences with the feis ceoil and anyone who has played in it on piano please tell me your experiences! :)

Just answered your Senior Cert question too! :) anyway, I have done the Feis Ceoil for the past three years...2010 with organ, 2011 and 2012 with piano and organ. I've always done pretty well with organ but with piano, I didn't really get anything until this year when I was Commended. ( the Feis Ceoil and indeed most music competitions have a system of 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and then if anyone gets above certain marks they are recognised by titles such as commended, highly commended etc. just in case you didn't know!)

The competition is usually stiff, the people who enter have been learning, in most cases since they were very young children! And the majority attend the Academy, DIT or other music conservatoires, and those students usually do the best. But having said that, I have really enjoyed the experience and even if you don't win, you get some great feed back from the judges. The piano, in my experience, has been held usually in a church hall near the RDS. And it is a really good platform for performing. Regarding what you play, it depends on the competition. I've only ever done the Junior Piano which is for U 17s, and some of the competitions such as the Dorothy stokes cup, let you choose your piece but usually you have to pick a piece that follows some sort of criteria, like "Any Baroque Sonata".

However, you would probably be doing the over 17s, which is definitely a lot harder especially since a lot of third level RIAM, DIT, and other music students enter.

The syllabi are up now: http://www.feisceoil.ie/syllabus/competitions.asp

You should definitely go for it! I've enjoyed it every year and have learned a lot from it! :-) PM me if you want more info! Who do you learn with?

Advertisement