Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying maintenance

Options
  • 26-06-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello everyone, does anyone know, I'm on job seekers benefit and paying €30 maintenance a week to my ex partner for our 2 year old child, am I able to claim back this money from social welfare at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You can get the increase of €29.80 as long as your ex partner is not claiming for the child on another Social Welfare claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Any link for that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Darragh11

Thanks for your reply,My ex partner claims child benefit I think, do I go to community welfare officer about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

am i right in saying the child doesnt live with you - that you are trying to claim back maintenance. you cant claim back maintenance from social welfare - its whoever is getting the child benefit - the person with whom the child is living with makes the claim.#

maintenance is something extra - you cant claim it back.

If you are paying maintenance equivalent to thd child dependant allowance (proven) you are then entitled to claim for the child as a dependant in your own claim assuming the other party is not also claiming for that child. Child benefit does not count it would have to be FIS, one parent family, Jobseekers etc.
    This payment will be added to your current Social Welfare payment.

No link for this info, but it is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Darragh11

Thank you for your reply, So if my ex starts claiming one parent allowance then I wouldn't be entitled to it? I pay €30 maintenance a week,I know it might not seem like much but it is when just on jobseekers benefit which is 188, do I ask my community welfare officer about it?

Yes if your EX was claiming or to start claiming you would not be able to claim.

No, contact your local SW office. It is part of your JSB claim. You will have to provide them with some proof that you are paying this, bank statement or letter from your EX should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

sorry but you cant claim child dependant rate for a child that is not living with you. It doesnt even make sense claiming for a child that doesnt live with you because you pay maintenance.

check it out with social welfare

Check with Social Welfare, you can claim even if the child is not living with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My partner just rang social welfare and was told there was no way he can claim for his daughter,who lives with her mother (who is not claiming social welfare)
    The child has to be living with the person claiming for her/him.

• Advertisement

The information I have given is correct, I can't say any more than that. Maybe check again and speak with a supervisor. I know people who are claiming like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think you can claim, BUT, if you can it would be at the rate of €14.90.

That is what my partner gets, as I am on maternity benefit, we are living together. If I was a dependent on his claim, he would get €29.80 per child.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

You CAN claim, link here.
    (4) Substantial contribution by the other parent

Where
    • the parent with whom the child is residing is not in receipt of a Social Welfare payment (other than Child Benefit, Guardian's Payment (Non-Contributory) or Supplementary Welfare Allowance)
    • AND the other parent is contributing substantially towards the maintenance of the child
    the child may be deemed to be normally resident with the other parent, and would not be considered normally resident in any other household.
    "Contributing substantially" in this context is taken to mean at least the current equivalent of the Increase for a Qualified Child.

Advertisement