Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to listen to at 7pm??

Options
  • 26-06-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Now that Today FM have inexplicably moved Paul McLoone to a later slot. That KC bloke is a bloody idiot.

Suggestions please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Unless you have no interest in sport, and possibly even if you dont have any interest in sport, I'd listen to Off The Ball... Really funny, great interviews, and you find yourself listening in to discussions of sports you have no interest in at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

RichieMc wrote: »
    -snipped-

Is he good? What kind of music does he play??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Off The Ball is miles better than anything on air at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

The Archers on BBC4!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

+1 for OTB on Newstalk, even if your not a huge sports fan you'll still enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Being honest, KC and OTB are the only two listenable shows at time IMO, so since you don't like KC then I'd definitely suggest OTB.

Brilliant show, the guys really seem to get on, and they have some cracking interviews. You also learn about other sports since they cover basically everything under the sun, but they do it in a way that's fun to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Red and Black

OTB is a great show and well worth listening too.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Being honest, KC and OTB are the only two listenable shows at time IMO, so since you don't like KC then I'd definitely suggest OTB.

Brilliant show, the guys really seem to get on, and they have some cracking interviews. You also learn about other sports since they cover basically everything under the sun, but they do it in a way that's fun to listen to.

That KC chap is an unfunny idiot - straight out of the Smashy & Nicy mould of DJ.

Tuned into 2FM expecting to hear Dave Fanning but the had Jenny Heuston(?) on instead. Is she doing stand-in? She was EXCELLENT and the music was brill.

It's the only bit of radio I get to listen to these days - home from work and bring the dog and baby for a walk. Paul McLoone moving to later was a big loss :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

maybe buy an Internet radio?

or listen to listen again shows from radio 6 or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

That KC chap is an unfunny idiot - straight out of the Smashy & Nicy mould of DJ.

Are you serious? He's nothing like that. Ian Dempsey and Tony Fenton are the resident "Smashy & Nicey" of Today FM, I would have thought that was a generally accepted opinion.

KC is funny more often than not and plays a wide range of music with an emphasis on classic songs. He played Lemonheads last night, when was the last time someone heard that? :) He's also generally regarded as one of the nicest guys in radio. Calling him 'a bloody idiot' is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

OTB is very good, good jokes. Ca be a bit long drawn out, having 3 hours a week to fill. On Friday they just replay pieces from that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sudzs wrote: »
    The Archers on BBC4!! :D

Tom Archer is getting to be a really pompous git.
    Amy is a mentaler.
    Lynda Snell: I would.

I realise this is all OT, but nobody EVER wants to talk about The Archers with me :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Tuned into 2FM expecting to hear Dave Fanning but the had Jenny Heuston(?) on instead. Is she doing stand-in? She was EXCELLENT and the music was brill.

It's the only bit of radio I get to listen to these days - home from work and bring the dog and baby for a walk. Paul McLoone moving to later was a big loss :(

I disagree with you about KC, but if he's not to your taste then I won't argue with you.

Jenny is brilliant. I didn't know she was on that time of night, but she's one of the few competent presenters left at 2FM these days. Very enjoyable to listen to. If that's a permanent slot then I reckon that'd be your best bet for a replacement to McLoone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

tbh wrote: »
    Tom Archer is getting to be a really pompous git.
    Amy is a mentaler.
    Lynda Snell: I would.

I realise this is all OT, but nobody EVER wants to talk about The Archers with me :(

Tom Archer is only surpassed in the pompous stakes by sis Helen who is thankfully not part of any story lines at the mo. Horrible pair!

Amy is a psycho but I think heading into remission for a while.

Linda??? oh dear lord, not at this time of the year, not unless you spike her herbal tea with Piriton first!!! ;)

Sorry, sorry, completely off topic. Maybe we should be an Archers thread TBH?!

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Are you serious? He's nothing like that. Ian Dempsey and Tony Fenton are the resident "Smashy & Nicey" of Today FM, I would have thought that was a generally accepted opinion.

KC is funny more often than not and plays a wide range of music with an emphasis on classic songs. He played Lemonheads last night, when was the last time someone heard that? :) He's also generally regarded as one of the nicest guys in radio. Calling him 'a bloody idiot' is a bit much.

Hmmm. A person cannot have their own opinion mien fuhrer??

The guy is an idiot. The worst part is when he put that music on in the background and then starts rambling on for 5 mins and tries to sound funny. Somebody should take him to one side and tell him that he is not! I haven't found one person (except here on an internet forum) that thinks the guy is good.

Hopefully this is only a temporary move and he will be put to a different slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The off the ball show is a good option as some people have already advised. Although their sojourn to Poland was a few weeks of depression filled drivel- I think they must have been homesick or something.

If its music you are after then 2fm or Nova.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The guy is an idiot.

You might think he's bad at his job, but why an idiot? :confused:
    I haven't found one person (except here on an internet forum) that thinks the guy is good.

You're only the second person I've ever seen/heard that doesn't like him

I wouldn't hold my breath, a quick look at his Wikipedia page will tell you how innovative and award-winning he has been in the past, Today FM are grooming him for big things by the looks of it.

I like Off the Ball too but if you're not into sports at all, that might not help, no matter how entertaining the lads are. Where are you based OP? What are your Regional Station options? You could always try Live365.com and use an alternative internet station if you had access to a computer (with internet obviously!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Richie Ryan on Phantom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1. You would struggle to find a show with better new music.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1. You would struggle to find a show with better new music.

How'd I pick that up walking the dog? :confused:

Internet on the phone maybe??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

How'd I pick that up walking the dog? :confused:

Internet on the phone maybe??

tunein pro is great on a phone, and it doesn't use much data. I drove to Donegal listening to Adam and Joe one Saturday, and it only used something like 30mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

i work in a room with 40-50 people varying from early 20's to close to retirement age, for the last 3 years we have had to endure the steaming bullsh1t that dave fanning plays, our lovely company then decided to change stations to today fm during fanning slot, it was every bit as bad.
    i am no fan of commercial music but KC (KC plays some pretty cool, easy going music) on at 7pm in place of Macloon is a god send while trying to work.

the likes of fanning, macloon and dave caous (sp) should be banished to the hours donal dineen used to do and then finally, to another realm.

barryd09 wrote: »
    i work in a room with 40-50 people varying from early 20's to close to retirement age, for the last 3 years we have had to endure the steaming bullsh1t that dave fanning plays, our lovely company then decided to change stations to today fm during fanning slot, it was every bit as bad.
    i am no fan of commercial music but KC (KC plays some pretty cool, easy going music) on at 7pm in place of Macloon is a god send while trying to work.

the likes of fanning, macloon and dave caous (sp) should be banished to the hours donal dineen used to do and then finally, to another realm.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqD96MbGGlucg849_ieEtAegDpSQnFlruDoSZginnAb8gw3rEt

*had to be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

on web or tv

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

On Fridays Tom Ravenscroft is on BBC 6 Music 7-10 pm. He is truly brilliant. (Son of the late, legendary John Peel.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ferretone wrote: »
    On Fridays Tom Ravenscroft is on BBC 6 Music 7-10 pm. He is truly brilliant. (Son of the late, legendary John Peel.)

He's well overrated and one big disappointment. It was a complete travesty to replace Tom Robinson and his epic Friday night shows (I never get to hear it on Sundays).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

on today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Well I have to say that I am loving KC, usually I would turn radio off around 7.30/8pm, all week long it has been left on. He plays good music, lots of different things on his show. Well done KC, love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Wandsworth

As a former archers fan, I have stopped listening. The recent hijacking of what was a charming show has now been turned into a nasty soap opera where teh emotional empo has been racheted up to such a degree that its no longer a pleasure to listen. I tried to listen last night but there it was again, Adam and some foreign chap ratcheting up the emotional tempo another notch or two, and Mike tucker and Neil Carter agonising abot a downs pregnancy. For me, this show has become utterly unlistenable to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement