Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for part time courses

Options
  • 26-06-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I am currently unemployed and I was hoping to start a three year ,third level part time course. I have been told that there are no grants available for this. Just wondering if this is the case, or does anyone know who I could contact about assistance for the course fees.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Depends what type of course you are looking to do. Have you looked at Springboard?

http://www.springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

www.studentfinance.ie I think it's the centralised service for grants, tuition payments, maintenance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmixer2104

Thanks for the replies,
    Checked out all the websites you mentioned but hit a dead end, Also looked into springboard, but nothing in my region in the line of I T which is what I want to do. I spoke to a jobs facilitator yesterday and she told me that they gave up the grants for part time courses about four years ago.
    There are grants for full time courses which means another four years unemployed, which is the last thing I want.
    I cant see why they wouldnt give assistance for part time courses which would give you the very same qualification as the full time course, and still give you the opportunity to get employment, taking you off social welfare, and saving the state some money.
    Just have to start saving I suppose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

If you want to do IT, have you looked at the ICT Skills courses?
    www.bluebrick.ie/ictskills

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

who told you there were no grants available,was it the tutor,if not i think its better to ask the course co ordinator they can put you in the right direction..

if you have to pay thousands - you can always take out a small loan at the credit union..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

cmixer2104 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently unemployed and I was hoping to start a three year ,third level part time course. I have been told that there are no grants available for this. Just wondering if this is the case, or does anyone know who I could contact about assistance for the course fees.

Depending on what type of course you are looking to do and your own status there may be scholarships which may offer funding/expenses you could avail of.

There are definitely no grants available as such for part time third level education.

Advertisement