Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full USB disk encryption

Options
  • 26-06-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Guys quick question. I've to ship a USB disk to an office abroad and obviously want to ensure the date contained on it is secure. its basically a copy of some folders on our Windows 2003 file server. I was thinking of just using Trucrypt to encrypt a potion of the USB disk and send that to them. would you think this is secure enough or would you suggest another method?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Faolchu wrote: »
    Guys quick question. I've to ship a USB disk to an office abroad and obviously want to ensure the date contained on it is secure. its basically a copy of some folders on our Windows 2003 file server. I was thinking of just using Trucrypt to encrypt a potion of the USB disk and send that to them. would you think this is secure enough or would you suggest another method?

Would work, but why don't you just zip the files and encrypt with a long complex password. Most popular zip clients support AES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

thats not a bad idea had forgotten about that. makes life a hell of a lot easier and less chances of them forgetting what the hell to use 2 years down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Your best option is to create a file store bigger then the size of the files you need to copy but smaller then the total size of the USB drive.

Then do a portable install onto the USB drive, so the end-user does not have to download / install anything to mount it.

If you use linux or a 3rd party partition tool then you can split the drive up but it probably easier to do the above especially if the person that will be copying the files on the other end is not as technical.

Edit:

But if you do want to "zip" it use 7Zip and create a .7z file with the strongest encryption options, you can also obfuscation the internal file name.
    Faolchu wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

why would you send a usb disk in the post
    can you just not send the files online

because its over 100 GB of data and we currently do not have a VPN between the two sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

We sometimes have to send stuff via registered post so we get a physical signature.

For legal reasons is why a lot of places still have faxes, since a signed document send via fax has legal standing. But that law was written before VoIP / Fax2Mail since it counts a fax as a direct connection device.
    bpb101 wrote: »
    why would you send a usb disk in the post
    can you just not send the files online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

he wants to encrypt file , documents ,logs not text

we settled on truecrypt for ease of use. thanks guys

Advertisement