Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorporating Speech Recognition into iphone app??

Options
  • 26-06-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, as part of my thesis for college, im am developing an iphone application for the LeavingCert Irish Course (Learning,Revsion,Quizes etc) i would ideally like to incorporate some example of speech recognition, i was thinking into the opening menu of my application for basic menu selection in Irish. I'm just wondering is this even possible in Irish and any tips for how i would go about incorporating it into the app? I have no previous knowledge in this area and would really appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks
    Ash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I have no idea how you'd get it working in Irish. I don't think one could. But maybe someone could come up with an idea!

The problem: there are some pronunciation paradigms that exist in Irish that do not exist in other languages. Siri even struggles with my accent, speaking in English. But as I said, maybe someone could offer a solution that I can't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

Im not aware of any out of the box solution for Irish but have a look at the open source project "Open ears". A speech recognition and text-to-speech framework on the iPhone and iPad.I havent worked with it myself,but it may be of some use.

Instructions for Installing framework in XCode: http://www.politepix.com/openears/yourapp/

However it seems that Open ears is designed only for the english language.However there is a thread on investigating Open Ears with other languages.Alot of it is over my head (admittedly ive spent no time researching it,as ive no need) but it may make sense to you,and at least highlight some of the challenges in speech recognition etc
    http://www.politepix.com/forums/topic/other-languages/

Good luck with the thesis!

Advertisement