Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on the use of a medical card

Options
  • 26-06-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

i have a medical card registered to my family doctor, does this mean i can only see her when im sick or can i visit any doctor who takes medical card patients??
    i was just told by a doctor in kildare that i have to see my family doctor for any medical care...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

You are accepted by a particular doctor whose name is on your medical card therefore you must attend the named doctor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You can use your medical card for up to 3 months if you are living temporarily outside your Local Health Office area. In this case, you can attend any GP in the area participating in the medical card scheme. If you are going to be away longer than 3 months, you should apply to the Local Health Office of that area, for a medical card. If you move to a different part of your own Local Health Office area, you can apply to change your doctor.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 George..

mp22 wrote: »
    You can use your medical card for up to 3 months if you are living temporarily outside your Local Health Office area. In this case, you can attend any GP in the area participating in the medical card scheme.

In theory maybe but I've found it difficult to get an appointment with a doctor in another area unless your registered with them.

Advertisement