Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish for an invite

Options
  • 26-06-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi, we’re living in Spain and getting married here. Just getting invites sorted out now and we have a bit of Spanish, but would like to say something in Irish. Like ‘look forward to seeing you there’ or ‘can’t wait to see you’ or if not something like that, then ‘we’re getting married’. Any ideas? Anything I can think of is just too long winded, and definitely stilted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

look forward to seeing you (there)/can’t wait to see you - Ag dúil le sibh a fheiceáil (ansin)

we're getting married - tá muid chun pósadh
    (or in a different dialect) táimid chun posadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

mr chips wrote: »
    look forward to seeing you (there)/can’t wait to see you - Ag dúil le sibh a fheiceáil (ansin)

we're getting married - tá muid chun pósadh
    (or in a different dialect) táimid chun posadh.

le + sibh = libh

ag tnúth libh a fheiceáil is what I'd say.

Táimid can also be spelled táimíd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Gumbi wrote: »
    le + sibh = libh

ag tnúth libh a fheiceáil is what I'd say.

Táimid can also be spelled táimíd

these are good

"ag súil (go mór) libh" instead of "ag dúil le sibh"

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

I've opted for "le sibh" over "libh" on purpose. Tbh I can't remember what the basis for this is, but AFAIR the version I used is correct for "ag dúil le". Think it's along the lines of that being a phrase in its own right which doesn't get altered, but if someone can help me clarify it I'd be grateful!

mr chips wrote: »
    I've opted for "le sibh" over "libh" on purpose. Tbh I can't remember what the basis for this is, but AFAIR the version I used is correct for "ag dúil le". Think it's along the lines of that being a phrase in its own right which doesn't get altered, but if someone can help me clarify it I'd be grateful!

I can't say for sure, but it would certainly surprise me. I have never seen "le sibh" in any context, and find it quite awkward to say. I don't use "ag dúil le", and so I'm not familiar with it, so perhaps I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    these are good

"ag súil (go mór) libh" instead of "ag dúil le sibh"

They're good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ag dúil/súil/tnúth le sibh a fheiceáil is correct because the 'le' belongs to ag dúil and so its not le + sibh together. I dont have the grammatical vocabulary to explain it though.
    To say " ag súil libh a fheiceáil" is using "libh" to accomodate both verbs and I dont feel that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Ag dúil/súil/tnúth le sibh a fheiceáil is correct because the 'le' belongs to ag dúil and so its not le + sibh together. I dont have the grammatical vocabulary to explain it though.
    To say " ag súil libh a fheiceáil" is using "libh" to accomodate both verbs and I dont feel that can be done.

You're absolutely right, gal gréine. The le + sibh = libh rule doesn't apply there, as they are two seperate clauses within the same sentence, i.e.:

[Tá mé ag súil le][sibh a fheiceáil].

Thank you. Makes perfect sense now that I be considered it. That's a new rule for me. GRMA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Thanks for all the suggestions. Another one I got was 'ag tnuth go mor le bhfur dteacht' (sorry, not sure how to get the fadas). Does that make sense too?

• Advertisement

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Another one I got was 'ag tnuth go mor le bhfur dteacht' (sorry, not sure how to get the fadas). Does that make sense too?
    Ag tnúth go mór le bhur dteacht

Make sure you get the accents and spelling correct. Without the accents the words are misspelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Thanks for that, yeah, there's no way I'd put them on without the fadas!

Advertisement