Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98. Launching a document in word 97

Options
  • 25-06-2012 10:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a computer with windows 98 on it. I have a document on a disc I wish to open in Microsoft word format.

Is this possible? Any tips or pointers appreciated!

Where to start

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you only want to view it you can get an old copy of word viewer

if you want to edit it openoffice, but it would have to be an older version

or open the document in word/openoffice on another pc and save as type wordpad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

WordPad should be able to open it too.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Where can one purchase said applications?

I would like to edit the document possibly to suit my requirements. Is this a complicated task?

Keggles

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.openoffice.org is free but you will need to check your machine can run it , windows 98 machines probably won't have enough RAM

older versions of micorsoft office are no longer on sale, so you would have to buy the license second hand. NB. you can't buy OEM or Pre-installed copies second hand, buying second hand corporate licenses is also a bit of a grey area so you are down to full retail package, if such a thing still exists.

Also a copy of office is probably worth more than a windows 98 computer

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

At 14 years old there will be no support available for your windows 98 software or hardware. In addition, it's a hazard to connect to the internet, as it hasn't received updates for security vulnerabilities since July of 2006. Meaning you run a very high risk of being the victim of a cyber attack which can mean up to and including the loss of your personal data, perhaps even into the hands of criminals.

In addition as Captain points out the hardware is now so far out of date that it falls well under the minimum requirements for most basic software applications: even if you managed to get a modern antivirus program installed, for example, the resources required to operate it would probably drag your PC to a crawl, and thats before you run a word processor or web browser.

To edit the document you are honestly far better off opening your document on a machine at minimum running Windows XP Service Pack 3, and working on it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Its good to see you using Win98 kegzmc! (One good OS)

Good luck finding a solution :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kegzmc wrote: »
    Where can one purchase said applications?

I would like to edit the document possibly to suit my requirements. Is this a complicated task?

Keggles

Wordpad is free and part of Windows. Not sure if it could open Word documents 14 years ago though.

Word Viewer is also free, you can get it on the internets though whether it'll work on Win98 is a different question, personally I wouldn't let a Windows 98 machine within an asses roar of an internet connection.

The current version of Open Office won't run on 98, you'll have to find version 2 or earlier.

testicle wrote: »
    Wordpad is free and part of Windows. Not sure if it could open Word documents 14 years ago though.
    Wasn't Works (not wordpad) the same as Word 2.0 ?

The problem is not with the content, it's with the deliberate obstruction of the file layout in order to force people to up grade.

But yes Microsoft, and Autodesk have made fortunes through new document formats that were incompatible with previous versions. I still don't think I've received a .docx that used any of the new features, and well over a year before I recieved a .docx that couldn't have been done in the freebie write from windows 3.0

Windows 98 on the interweb is not a good idea. It just won't be able to handle the demands of script driven websites which most are these days. Can't remeber if something like google docs can import docs and convert the format on the fly,

Advertisement