Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University...advice please!

Options
  • 25-06-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Advice please

I am a currently studying a Msc in Psychology with the Open University. I have passed 150 points of the required 180 but recently failed the final 30point module. This masters is being withdrawn by the OU in 2014. I have just been informed by the OU that all of the modules which I could sit as an alternative to the module I failed have been withdrawn as of May 2012. As it currently stands I am unable to finish the masters even though it runs for 2 more years. I am also unable to transfer the points I have accumulated to another similar masters. I have spent close on €10k on this course to date. Has anyone experience of a similar situation or would anyone know of my rights in this situation?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

madamL wrote: »
    Advice please

I am a currently studying a Msc in Psychology with the Open University. I have passed 150 points of the required 180 but recently failed the final 30point module. This masters is being withdrawn by the OU in 2014. I have just been informed by the OU that all of the modules which I could sit as an alternative to the module I failed have been withdrawn as of May 2012. As it currently stands I am unable to finish the masters even though it runs for 2 more years. I am also unable to transfer the points I have accumulated to another similar masters. I have spent close on €10k on this course to date. Has anyone experience of a similar situation or would anyone know of my rights in this situation?

Thanks in advance

Can you resit the module?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 madamL

Hi

No I have been told there is no option to resit the module or take any other module to complete the Msc in Psychology. The big issue is that the course is not finished for another 2 years but they have already phased out the necessary modules (first 3 module) for me to complete the course.

Supposedly an OU student does not have to complete modules in an compulsory order but this is not what has happened.

I wonder is there anyone to go to on this matter an educational ombudsman? Solicitor to fight my case?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Whole thing sounds a bit funny to me. I'm not totally sure who you could go to but maybe someone like the National Consumer Agency or Citizens information center could point you in the right direction? Hope you get it sorted out.

Advertisement