Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

South African Ford/GM/BMW muscle cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my Mk4 Cortina came from Basil Green of the Perana

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Wasn't there a Cortina XR6 in SA? IIRC, it was a mk4/5 Cortina fitted with the SA 3.4 Essex? Boreham rallied one when the RS1800 stopped rallying in late '79.

theres alink there for the XR6...that was the Mk5 version.

the Rally one has re-surfaced recently I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

corktina wrote: »
    my Mk4 Cortina came from Basil Green of the Perana
    Basil Green , a long time since i heard that name.
    my first Capri perana v8 was in 77 it was fantastic,my second perana v8 was auto and i thought it a far nicer more managable car.
    as i used to live very close to where he built the peranas ,i would often see a few outside,never did get a look inside though.
    in 1980 i bought an orangy mk3 2 door cortina ,when i bought it i thought it was a basic v6 mk3 but on closer inspection it had the perana basil green plaque in the engine bay.
    funny thing most of the cops back then had mk3 cortina v6 and they could shift.
    after the peranas i had i never had any interest in capris as i knew i would be dissapointed in trying to compare them.
    those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Bought a green 2.0S Mk4 and put a 2.8 into it using 2.3 engine mounts - great acceleration but no top speed due to 3.08(?) diff:cool:

• Advertisement

the Mk4 S models are about the rarest surviving Cortinas. 2 2.3Ss and less than a dozen 2.0Ss survive in the UK OTR.

Mine is a 3.0S, as far as I know the only one in the British Isles, and ,yes , it does shift a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Anyone know of any SA produced fuel injected Essex engines (fords earlier 3L V6) in the country? The FI version was another SA only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

shagman wrote: »
    Anyone know of any SA produced fuel injected Essex engines (fords earlier 3L V6) in the country? The FI version was another SA only option.

Haven't time to check but I Think the US Ford V6 is based on the Essex, and that one has injection.

Advertisement