Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Spider (was - Large Spider)

Options
  • 25-06-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

found this large spider under the deck when i was ripping it up , anyone got any idea what spider it is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Just a european house spider or relative. Related to the funnel web spider. Territorial hunters, shy; see them wandering mostly at night unless you disturb them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ChazyP

Thanks , seen it around a few times , now i know

Tegenaria domestica is the latin name

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

Saw one of those for the first time the last day and looked it up in a book we have at home it looks like an "amaurobius similis" usually found behind bark on walls and on fences.

I think amaurobius similis has different markings on the abdomen. Markings look like tegenaria domestica, a female one (male has a more elongated abdomen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

It is a Tegenaria alright; Amaurobius are common in gardens but the markings on the abdomen are Tegenaria.

Des

Advertisement