Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UK to Ireland as freelancer

Options
  • 25-06-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

I'm looking from some advice, ideally from someone who's been in a similar circumstance, but to be honest any advice would be welcome.

I've been living in Chester, UK, ever since I started University over here. I've recently (about 6 months ago) registered as self employed and have been working as a freelance graphic designer from home. In the past month or so I've made the decision to move home to Ireland this summer and am now just wondering what the process is of continuing my freelance in Ireland with minimum disruption.

I'm aware that I need to register in Ireland and set myself up there, same as I did in UK. However, I'm not sure what happens to all the stuff I did while in the UK. Do I effectively just freeze any actions on the UK side? Stop transactions in/out of my UK business account and directing clients to my Irish account? I'm also unsure of how I make the transition from paying UK tax/national insurance to paying my way in Ireland.

Sorry that this question is all over the place, but that's reflective of how I am at the minute. I've arranged to speak to an accountant soon, but I'd like to have even a rough idea beforehand so I can ask some more informed questions, rather than just the basics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement