Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting my job and claiming the dole

Options
  • 25-06-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I've been working for 1,5 year in one place now, but I can't stand this job anymore.

I have no breaks even while 8,5 hrs shift, as we are all the time short-staffed, sometimes left even on my own in the shop for all day. What is more, I'm expected to work for free some overtime hours as my employer 'pays' for my break, which I never get!!!! I've told my employer that I'm very unhappy about my breaks, but she said there is nothing she could really do about it as we are short-staffed, it's so busy at the minute and blah blah blah... That's really not right.

I'm not getting Bank Holidays paid properly - just normal hourly rate. I know from CIC that it's illegal and I can complain about it. My employer laid to me that if the business is not earning much for her she doesn't need to pay me extra on Bank Holidays. Totally untrue info...

And the last thing which really made me mad - she refused me taking 2 weeks holidays because I can take only what I worked up for. Somehow this rule never affected 4weeks holidays of one colleague and over 2weeks holidays of another one. That's so unfair as I've worked in this place longer than them and I'm sure in 100% they never had all of those holidays worked up.

I am very stressed at the moment, I can't go through all of this and even more crazy stuff happening in there. I'm genuinely looking for job, sending CVs to many companies, but didn't get response yet... I want to leave as soon as possible and sign on the dole for the time when I will be looking for new job.

So I'm just wondering if I am eligible for the JSA after quitting the job in this situation?

Would be really grateful for any help, guys...

THANKS!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Disqualification from Jobseeker's Allowance

You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Allowance for 9 weeks if you:
    • Left work voluntarily and without just cause
    From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

The answer to your question can only be answered by the deciding officer.

There is a couple of things you can try before you quit,all requests for holidays in writing/email ie keep a record of any replies,same for any other questions you ask your boss re bank holidays ect.
    Any replies you get will help your chances of getting jsa without the 9 week disqualification,also could be used in a constructive dismissal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately I have very little proof as I was always asking her in person rather than emailing or texting, but I'll try to take some pictures of the crazy rules she made on the wall for the staff members.

I don't even hope for the change in my workplace... Things had been messed up since beginning and I was so stupid that I worked in there for so long!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katiedemon

In the meantime I've registered as my posts and replies are taking ages to show up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭hawthorne

See somebody from a trade union. The way you are describing things there are a lot of labour laws and regulations broken by you employer. These people might be able to get you your rights and it might improve your work place so that you do not have to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also contact www.nera.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 katiedemon

Thank you guys for all your help. I'm going to talk to my employer tomorrow and try to sort out the things. If she doesn't change her mind, I will have nothing else to do, but complain... Hope that will change the situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

katiedemon wrote: »
    In the meantime I've registered as my posts and replies are taking ages to show up! :)

Welcome and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ddooris

I would swop with you any day....you can have my dam dole and i'll happily work wherever you are....

D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

ddooris wrote: »
    I would swop with you any day....you can have my dam dole and i'll happily work wherever you are....

D

haha- saying it and doing it are two very different things.

My missus left her job on Sunday after a year. Her employer was breakng every employment law known to man. She is heading down to SWO today to apply for JSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭irish_bhoy09

katiedemon wrote: »
    Hello,

I've been working for 1,5 year in one place now, but I can't stand this job anymore.

I have no breaks even while 8,5 hrs shift, as we are all the time short-staffed, sometimes left even on my own in the shop for all day. What is more, I'm expected to work for free some overtime hours as my employer 'pays' for my break, which I never get!!!! I've told my employer that I'm very unhappy about my breaks, but she said there is nothing she could really do about it as we are short-staffed, it's so busy at the minute and blah blah blah... That's really not right.

I'm not getting Bank Holidays paid properly - just normal hourly rate. I know from CIC that it's illegal and I can complain about it. My employer laid to me that if the business is not earning much for her she doesn't need to pay me extra on Bank Holidays. Totally untrue info...

And the last thing which really made me mad - she refused me taking 2 weeks holidays because I can take only what I worked up for. Somehow this rule never affected 4weeks holidays of one colleague and over 2weeks holidays of another one. That's so unfair as I've worked in this place longer than them and I'm sure in 100% they never had all of those holidays worked up.

I am very stressed at the moment, I can't go through all of this and even more crazy stuff happening in there. I'm genuinely looking for job, sending CVs to many companies, but didn't get response yet... I want to leave as soon as possible and sign on the dole for the time when I will be looking for new job.

So I'm just wondering if I am eligible for the JSA after quitting the job in this situation?

Would be really grateful for any help, guys...

THANKS!
    im in the same boat,really stressed,i dont get paid for all the hours i do,never get a pay slip,get docked 5 hours a week for breaks i never get,im 3 years there,cant stick it much longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Employers can do what they dam well like! always someone else in line for your job, thats the attitude.
    No employee rights these days!!!

This is not the place for rights discussions please feel free to post in the work and jobs forum.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement