Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave - Secondary Teacher

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know how to calculate maternity leave as a secondary school teacher? I'm due Dec 10th! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

You start 2 weeks before your edd. then count up your 26 weeks. You can take up to an additional 30 school days that are holidays (midterm, easter, summer) and add that on. Then add on any bank holidays that occur during your maternity leave. You can take up to 16 weeks unpaid too. The unpaid leave kicks in directly at the end of your 26 weeks, then the additional 30 days are added on if u get me. Not sure how it will work when you're leave runs into summer. Our school secretary sorted mine for me....they can print out the forms that u need to fill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

Thanks Queen of Sheebs. I'm wondering about the maternity leave running into the summer hols. Does that mean I'll be back in Aug/Sept when school reopens. You're lucky your school secretary helped you...can't imagine ours helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ok, bear with me. This is complicated....

I'm assuming you will take your leave from 3/12/12 so

3/12/12 + 26 weeks = 2/6/12

Overlapping holidays = Christmas (2 wks) + midterm (1 wk) + Easter (2 wks) + St Patrick's day (1 day) + May Bank Holiday (1 day) = 27 days

Now, because the first 12 days of the state exams are not counted as holidays, you 'lose' 8 days of the overlapping 26 days and continue counting when school resumes, so

start of Sept term + 18 days = return to work.

The asti site is very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

thanks so much implausible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

Hi ladies,
    Mind if I jump on here for advice?
    I know I have to fill out the MB10 form and there is a section that has to be filled out by the Department as employer. Do they send it on to the Dept. of Social Welfare directly or do they send it back to you again.

I did all this before but that was 5 yrs ago and I vaguely remember sending it off to Dept. of Ed incomplete and I got a phone call from a lady not best pleased with me!!

Also on the summer holidays issue, I remember returning to work one day before term ended in the summer. I had taken 26 wks + 30 days + 2 bank holidays. Although I had taken about 10 wks unpaid, I couldn't carry the 6 on after the summer hols.

I'm a bit hazy on all of this though.
    Thanks for any help. I'm due October 30th :-)

• Advertisement

Again on the mb10 form the secretary in my school filled it out on behalf of the dept. There wasn't much to go in it and sheiu stamped it and signed it too. It was the same last year on my first maternity (schools worst nightmare...2 babies close together!). Also i'm due sept 29th and i'm back to work on the 1st of May. That's without any unpaid leave.

Thanks for that. No way our secretary would help me out with form but I presume the Principal could fill it in. Have you sent off the form already? Am just thinking, everyone will be on holiday now till August.

Wow, 2 babies in 2 years. Congratulations!
    I think most schools are never too happy about maternity leave. Of course, nothing would ever be said but you just get that feeling. We had 5 teachers with new babies this year. I'm the only one so far for next year but I'm sure that will change.

Haven't posted it yet. Need to get the doctor part filled out. The school have another form that they need to fill out and submit on line to the department and then they have to have a copy of your mb10 form kept in your file You need to wrote a letter to the board telling them you are applying for maternity leave and the date u intend to start it on amd also state if you wish to apply for some or all of the unpaid leave. The form that your school has to submit to the department is the one where your total maternity leave is calculated. The secretary will have to fill that one in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carey123

Hi guys

Im sorry to be annoying you with this aswell but I was wondering if anyone could help with calculating mat leave for secondary school.I am due at the start of july and I was wondering when id be due back to school. im not sure whether i can claim bcak days from the summer holidays. Im sooooo confused. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Hi there,

I'm not great on this but as far as I know, you have to start leave 2 weeks before due date. That applies even during summer holidays. If you start mid June, you need to count 26 weeks, which would bring you up to mid December. You can add on 30 days holidays then. It's 30 days only, which amounts to 5 weeks extra. Since that will go into the Xmas holidays, I think you can add them on then after that. Then of course, you can take up to 16 weeks unpaid.
    If you need to, you can ring the Dept in Athlone and ask to speak to someone in Post Primary salaries. I was very lucky with them, they worked my leave out straight away.
    Best of luck with everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Thats exactly how its calculated Lac21. The 30days is 6 weeks.

Thanks cb7, I have 5 weeks in my head because only 25 days holidays fell during my 26 weeks leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sectec

Hi. Just a question I dont know if anyone can help me. Im due at the end of June and was wondering if my maternity leave has to start in June eventhough I will be on my summer holidays. I think if I work it out that I will be due back to work i December. Thanks to anyone that can help me its like a mine field to get information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Hi, I'm a primary school teacher and I'm due 24th of July. I rang the INTO to calculate my due date and unfortunately we're getting a bit of a raw deal because of the holidays which we have to count as part of the maternity leave. So if you're due in June, you must take the two weeks off before your due date. Then you count July and August as part of your maternity leave so you'll roughly be due back at work before Christmas. You should probably go back before the Christmas hols to get paid for them. Plus, in the Dec budget the government cut our 30 days off in lieu of holidays which fall within our maternity leave but as far as I know our unions are still trying to fight this.
    I think I'll certainly be taking the 16 weeks unpaid leave as it makes more financial sense for me and I know I won't be able to bear leaving the baby. It's annoying that the baby won't be as old as my maternity leave when I'm due back to work if January if that makes sense.
    Anyway I hope that has made sense for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Thats why teachers plan their babies in Oct and Nov - to get maximum holidays!!!

cb7 wrote: »
    Thats why teachers plan their babies in Oct and Nov - to get maximum holidays!!!

Life is life and it won't work out the way you've planned. Anyway I'd rather go back to school in January than September and have to face a full school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sectec

Thank you so muchicecreamqueen. I thought that is what is was alright but I was hoping it wasnt. I will have to take unpaid aswell as I am expecting twins happy days.

Thanks again and best of luck with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mamamol

hey there
    im new to boards im due to go on maternity leave in april and stil unclear as to what the new changes..... any one have any definate details on this as my VEC still have no circulars on it. Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

Hi Mamamol,

I'm VEC also and there will be no circular until legislation comes in. If you've filled out your MB10 and sent it into HR they will still apply overlap days on paper. I did this straight away at 24 weeks and have the letter with my dates on it. The line from the department to the unions is that 'no time in lieu may be accrued after 1st May'. And I imagine if that stays the same then my HR department will re issue my letter. However as with the allowances circular (where there ended up being exceptions to what was said when the circular came about and the clarifications took forever) I am making sure to give myself the best chance at keeping my overlap days. Good luck

thanks for the reply, hopefully will hear from them soon, when are u due to go on mat leave ?

• Advertisement

I'm due to start maternity leave on 26th April! Can't come quick enough at this stage!

Zizigirl wrote: »

Thanks for posting that up. As per usual I can't make nor tail of this circular. Can anyone help out.. what does it mean for someone going on maternity leave in July?

me neither, would love some insight into how it will affect me, god why do they make it so complicated !!

Advertisement